RAM Problems

normanguitar

Does anybody know why if I just added 1GB of ram to my Powermac G4, it is now having more trouble running the same amount of plugins as before I had the ram? Pro Tools LE 6.4, Digi 002, Powermac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz processors now up to 1.7Gb ram.

disclaimer.........I don't know much about macs, but...

normanguitar said:
Does anybody know why if I just added 1GB of ram to my Powermac G4, it is now having more trouble running the same amount of plugins as before I had the ram? Pro Tools LE 6.4, Digi 002, Powermac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz processors now up to 1.7Gb ram.

Do you have the latest OS and latest updates? does the os see the ram, in other words, is there an OS check ram function in the apple OS.

what configuration is the ram in? do you have a 256, 512, then a 1 gig, or a 256, 512, 512, 512 or what. is any soldered onto the motherboard, like the first 256?

can you take everything out and put just the new ram in, then try it?

sometimes, on some windows machines, the order the ram is put in can make a difference (crazy, I know).

and (for now) lastly, do you know for sure it is EXACTLY the correct ram? I know this sounds insulting, but I don't mean it so. in windows this can be a problem, wrong refresh rates, etc. can you double check everything?

I will keep thinking, let me know what's up.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to figure all this out and it appears I should've done more homework before purchasing. I was told that plugins run in RAM and RAM is "everything". Not the case. I'm gonna check everything and let you know. Thanks again.

Back