RA --> WAV --> CD...Advice?

Tidycat

Hi all. The plan is to go from RA to WAV then on to CD. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or warnings? Thanks very much.

Well, I've got CoolEdit 2000, which can save files in several different formats, but I'm under the assumption that if I want to play these files on an audio CD player, they're going to have to be burnt in WAV format. Besides, my recorder (TotalRecorder) records RA files as WAVs...

This is my first foray into sound, so I could be missing something...

Real Audio (RA) uses lossy compression. This means you are losing audio quility with RA, and that quality cannot be restored by converting back to WAV. I'd only do what you're describing if you only have an RA source file and the material cannot be restored from any other source. Stick with WAV for your stuff that will be burned to CD... don't encode with RA or MP3 first for those masters.

Yes, RA is the original (and only) source, unfortunately, and I can only save them as WAV files. Once I've got the WAV files, I can do pretty much anything with them. I know I'm kind of dragging this out a bit, but can you suggest any ways I can optimize the .wavs for best recording onto the CD? Thanks very much - Tidycat.

Here again, the Monkey Method rules. When I want to record a streaming RA feed, I use the output from my Soundcard directly to the TASCAM CDRW-5000. Even the 16 Kbps stuff is tolerable. Saves the unnecessary step of doing the .wav conversion. Since the problem with the source is a huge file compression factor, I don't see how messing about with the file after the fact is gonna help all that much. Kind of like Ron Popeil's hair in a can for those going bald. Go ahead- spray paint your head. See if I care.

I was afraid that it might be your only source :(. I'm not sure what your asking about "optimizing the .wavs". For the levels, you could use compression** or normalization... but that will probably just raise the level of the artifacts left over from the Real Audio encoding. I don't recommend it. Once you're converted to wav, you should be good to go.

** dynamic compression... not data compression. Like things aren't confusing enough, "compression" has two completely different meanings.

. Once you're converted to wav, you should be good to go.

** dynamic compression... not data compression. Like things aren't confusing enough, "compression" has two completely different meanings. [/B][/QUOTE]

ashampoo (http://www.ashampoo.com)makes a ver cool product called "AudioCD MP3 Studio" (and cheap!) One of it's functions is to convert MP3 and other formats directly to sound files, without converting them to WAVs first. It may be able to convert streaming media to audio files, but I'm not sure. I use it all the time for making CDs of my own music from MP3 files. According to the help file, you can;
-------------------------------------------
Create and store individual playlists of your MP3 and wave audio files without moving the files around on your hard disk.

Edit your playlists by adding and removing tracks from different sources and locations and changing the order of the tracks. Rearrange the tracks in random order with the new Shuffle function.

Extract tracks from audio CDs and store them as wave files. This is known as "ripping", and AudioCD MP3 Studio 2000 has one of the best rippers around, able to exploit the full capabilities of modern high-speed CD-ROM drives.

Store wave files in a special compressed wave format that reduces their size by a ratio of 4:1 without any audible quality impairment. For example, you only need around 150MB of space for a 60-minute audio CD of wave files instead of over 600MB! And the compressed wave files are fully compatible with regular wave files -- you can play them and edit them directly, just like ordinary wave files.

Record your MP3 and wave playlists directly to CDs that you can play on any household audio CD player. You don't need to convert the MP3s to wave to do this; the program does it on the fly while you're recording. You can also record mixed playlists of MP3 and wave files. (This function requires a CD recorder.)

Normalize audio tracks on the fly while recording. This function puts an end to annoying fluctuations in volume between tracks from different sources. AudioCD MP3 Studio 2000 analyzes the music and adjusts the volume of all tracks to the same optimum maximum level.

Convert MP3 files to wave files directly. Just click and select Convert to Wave!
--------------------------------------------

Hope this helps for future projects. As for RA files, I find it best to search www.dogpile.com for the name of the original tune or soundfile you're looking for. Usually check Usenet first, then web. I've only failed to find a particular one, one time.
(I'm still looking for the famous tape of Buddy Rich yelling at his band. If anyone has it, I'll trade for MP3 of Dean and Jerry doing a hilarious practical joke on someone.)

edzeppelin

Back