Quick question plz respond

MasterG247

I have a soundblaster platinum and an ATI TV card. This weekend, i am going to sam ash to pick up my audiophile2496 and was wondering if it is possible to put all 3 cards in with out irq conflicts. If you have to re arrange the irqs how do u do that? Oh yea my system is an Athlon 1gig with a Asus a7m266 ddr motherboard with 256 pc2100 ddr ram. If need anymore info please let me know, thanx in advance

I'm not sure what the odds are that someone has that exact same setup, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I have heard that TV cards can be a pain (don't play well with others), but if you run into conflicts, you should be able to handle them (i.e. change IRQ's/memory addresses) when they come up. If you run into major problems, I'd yank the TV card and make the sound cards work together first, then try re-installing the TV card ...hopefully the TV card will re-adjust itself to fit the available resources.

Quick question, no quick answer

Are the soundblaster and graphics card the only cards you have in the box? What OS are you using, Win98SE? You should be able to check how many IRQs you have available in the device manager. You might want to make sure Plug and Play is off in the BIOS before installing the card. If you do end up with a conflict and you are sure you have IRQs available, you should be able to change it in device manager. If not, moving it to another slot can help. I'm really not familiar with that particular MOBO. If the graphics card is AGP, don't use the first PCI slot.

on my system i have:

Geforce 2 video card
soundblaster platinum
modem
ATI TV player

I am using windows 98se.

I am not to familiar about changing the irq's, hoq do I go about that

I have had a ATI All in Wonder 128 (TV, video capture, DVD) for just under 3 years now. I added a second video card (3DFx Voodoo 3) last year and use the SB Live! Value.

I have not had any IRQ problems/conflicts whatsoever. All my audio apps run just fine. As long as you keep your 2 sound cards on different IRQ's you should be ok. At one point, my 2 video cards, SB and netcard were all sharing IRQ 9 and that didn't seem to affect Sonar's performance.

The only issues come from Windows 98 terrible support for multimonitor setups. Windows 2000 handles it pretty much flwalessly. This probably won't be an issue for you though. :)

I have an ATI card, an SBLive and an Echo Mia installed. No problems.

I have heard of other people having problems installing an SBLive after having another soundcard in due to the SBLive wanting to grab all resources. I think as long as you have the SBLive installed FIRST (as I did) you shouldn't have any problems.

Give it a shot and if you have no problems, go for it!

Back