Quick Busses / I/O Question

JohnnyAmato

Hopefully this is a quick and easy question. I've had ProTools a little over a year now, and all of my sessions have busses for this and that; reverbs, delays, instrument groups, etc, basic stuff. Whenever I start a new session, I pick "Last Used" under the I/O, and most, if not all of my previous bus routing options I created are there from the other sessions. Normal, I assume, but my question is this- if I create a new session, pick "Last Used" but then go into the I/O and reset all my busses to default, will it affect my other sessions? Or are the set-ups unique to each session, and nothing changes in them?

Reason being, my busses in all of my sessions are somewhat sporadic, I know what everything is of course, but I would like to make a template that stays consistent from this point on. So if I do that, will it affect all the other sessions I have as far as bus routing, or will they all stay the same as was? I hope this question makes sense. I just don't want to reset my bus routing to default in a new session, create and save a template, then open an old session to find I screwed things up. :facepalm:

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'd throw this in the Pro Tools sub. I have never used it, but I can't imagine that your old songs' particulars will be affected by something you're doing for a new project, even if it's regarding default/preset buses. Any decent DAW saves the content of that session exactly as is, unless, of course, a plugin is deleted or something to that extent.

The Session file has a map of the bus setup for that session and wont change to your latest setup unless you manually change it in that particular session so go ahead, you're golden

... but my question is this- if I create a new session, pick "Last Used" but then go into the I/O and reset all my busses to default, will it affect my other sessions? Or are the set-ups unique to each session, and nothing changes in them?

It all depends what PT saves specific to individual projects VS what is a global setting irrelevant of what's saved with project.

Simplest thing is to reset just one bus on a new project...and then open an older project and see if it affects it.
That way, if it does affect the old stuff, you'll only have one bus to fix.
Or set up a new/unused buss on one project...start a new one, reset the buss...then check the other one.

There's no reason to risk affecting all off them in order to find out. :)

Back