Questions about my DAW

60sRockManiac

Hello all, I am currently working on some recordings in Studio One Artist v1.6.5 (a bit outdated, but overall very nice to work with). I have a couple questions about how the Quantize settings work in the program.

1. Is it only possible to quantize Instrument (virtual/midi) tracks, as opposed to Audio tracks?

2. Does Input Quantize only affect MIDI/virtual input, or can it affect recordings through a microphone and interface as well?

It's worth noting that I have gone through the manual for Studio One several times and it has only added to my confusion.

I'm wondering because I don't want to accidentally turn on some sort of quantize setting while I'm recording/mixing and suddenly have an artificially-timed song. I like to keep it natural. That's mainly why I want to know about how Input Quantize works, so I can be sure it won't screw with my guitar/bass tracks.

Thanks in advance.

The quantize function is normally used with MIDI tracks. I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can set an audio track to be automatically quantized as it's being recorded. To "quantize" an audio track, you tell the DAW to locate the transients in the track and divide it into multiple segments-- from transient to transient-- then you can drag the individual transients around to position them on whichever downbeats or upbeats (or whatever) you want to align them with, thereby stretching or time-compressing each segment as needed. So you don't have to worry about accidentally turning on some option that will automatically quantize the audio tracks while you're recording them. And as far as "quantizing" audio tracks after the fact, I don't know if Studio One version 1.6.5 can do that, but the reference manual should tell you-- if you have a PDF version of the manual, search it for "transient."

Thanks for the info on how quantizing works. I was kinda thinking that there isn't really a way to auto-quantize audio while it's being recorded. And if there was, the DAW would probably make it an obvious setting, not something hidden somewhere deep in the options.

Thanks for the info on how quantizing works. I was kinda thinking that there isn't really a way to auto-quantize audio while it's being recorded. And if there was, the DAW would probably make it an obvious setting, not something hidden somewhere deep in the options.

Well think about it man. How would you 'quantize' anything without some kind of template to quantize to? Audio tracks have no specific 'time based' information. Some software will try to find what that is after it is recorded, but you still need to tell the software where 1/2/3/4 is. Not even a possible request for any software to do. Not in real time anyway.

Though I have asked similar questions myself. No disrespect from me, only a realization I had to deal with a while ago.

Best

Back