Questions about latency. Direct Monitoring? Mixer?

Thisnameistaken

Hi guys. Still learning here.

I've been researching audio interfaces and was close to a decision when I start reading about latency.

As I understand you can reduce/eliminate this issue a couple of ways. One if to get an interface with direct monitoring. This seems like it would be a great route for me. I can't seem to find a heck of a lot of info as to which interfaces use Direct monitoring though.

I read the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 but I don't know if that has enough inputs for what I need. It only has 2 preamps and if i'm micing a drumkit i'm going to need more, right?

If anyone has some recommendations please shout them out.

Also, another option is to go through a mixer. So, if I were to choose that route would I have to get my interface and then get a separate mixer? I'd be fine with that even though it means I would have to start looking into mixers and there's another whole several evenings glued to my computer screen xD

I just want to make sure I crush this potential problem now before its an actual one. I play speedy metal and have worked in studios before, and I find myself being quite sensitive to latency.

Any info/suggestions as to what I should would be much appreciated. Thanks!

bump?

Errors
The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 7 characters.

Any digital recording setup is going to have at very least a few samples of latency, even when direct monitoring and depending on what interface you are using.

Obviously the only way to achieve absolute zero latency is to record through a mixer and monitor directly off of it. The direct outputs (assuming the mixer has them) will then be patched to the inputs of your interface/converters and recorded multitrack.

Most of the prosumer level brands support direct monitoring and that includes (to my knowledge) all MOTU, RME, M-audio and Focusrite stuff. The Steinberg interfaces will as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Back