Question regarding running studio monitors from PC

59 Les Paul

I'm just starting to get into post production editing using a PC. I come from using a 16 track Multitrack recorder ( which I still plan to use for recording, but my intentions are to do all the post production work in a PC environment.)

My question is what do I need to run my Event PS5 Studio monitors from my Computer? I can't just plug'em in. Sorry in advance for the dumb question as I'm sure most everyone here is way beyond this....lol.

Thank you.

S.

Actually, Les... or Paul... depending on the sound card or onboard sound of your PC, you could simply plug-them in. You'd need to convert the output from your PC to the input of your monitors - those are powered monitors, right? Something like a mini to 1/4" or whatever.

However, if you plan on putting your multi-track in the path, it's gonna get more complicated, and posssibly expensive.

But first, we need more information - what kind of soundcard or onboard outputs do you have on your PC?

Thanks for responding Michaelst. The monitors are Event PS5, bi-amped with their own power. Currently they run direct from my multitrack recorder via RCA plugs. I'm not looking to also include my multitrack recorder in this set up. My plan is to continue to record via my 16 track deck, then export the files to my PC for post editing work, mixdown, etc....so the monitors will go directly into the PC ( I assume).

At present, I do not even have a PC ready to go....I'm still reasding, learning and using my old ways...lol.

I sort of do what you do. I record on a 16 track standalone, but do drums in Reaper, against tracks exported from the standalone, and will increasingly do editing there as I work it all out.

I just bought a mini stereo to two 1/4 inch "insert" cable (didn't even know they existed) from the local music shop, ran a knife down the middle to split the two 1/4 leads, plug one into each powered monitor and the mini stereo plug into my laptop's headphone output. Works a charm.

When I'm using the standalone I just reach around and plug in its monitor leads. Easy.

For what I'm doing - drums - the current sound card is fine. If was actually mixing, then I might be tempted to upgrade it, however.

Back