Question around DAC/Audio Interface

Brandondee

Hi all,

New to this forum and fairly new to home recording and music production, I'm hoping you could assist me (in layman terms, please:)

Firstly, my equipment:

Device: MacBook Pro 2011 Retina/Unibody 15.4"
DAW/Software: Logic Pro X
Audio equipment:
M-Audio Axiom Air 32 (midi controller/USB)
Headphones: M-Audio HDH50
Occasional Recording with: Samson C01? microphone (USB)
Primary Purpose: Music Production/Mixing

I currently don't have a DAC or external audio interface and use the built-in USB ports and audio-out for the headphones on the MacBook Pro.

A couple of questions:
1. What is the difference between a DAC, an Audio interface and Headphone Amp?
2. Do I need any, or all of the above?
3. In purchasing a DAC, will it be able to process commands from the midi controller, and USB Microphone if it plugs into the MacBook Pro's USB interfaces as opposed to directly into the DAC?

For the foreseeable future I don't see recording multiple instruments, live, at the same time. I will primary be using headphones too until my budget can afford proper studio monitors :)

The reason for considering a DAC/Audio interface is due to the laggy performance I appear to experience on Logic Pro with multiple software instrument tracks.

Lastly, any suggestions on budget devices for an amateur music producer given the above questions to extend the quality, and ease of music production as an extension to what I have?

Thanks so much!
Brandon

1. What is the difference between a DAC, an Audio interface and Headphone Amp?

DAC = Digital to Analog converter. Audio interface = Analog to Digital, Digital to Analog, plus a variety of other functions to help with audio recording. Headphone amp = takes a signal from, say, an interface, and allows feeds to a number of headphones.

2. Do I need any, or all of the above?
DAC = no. Audio interface = maybe (see answer to next question). Headphone amp = maybe. Interfaces have headphone outputs. If you need a number of people to listen at once, then get one.

. In purchasing a DAC, will it be able to process commands from the midi controller, and USB Microphone if it plugs into the MacBook Pro's USB interfaces as opposed to directly into the DAC?

No and no.

Midi keyboards are controlled via USB through your audio program.
The same for a USB microphone. This has an AD/DA converter built into it.

If you have USB keyboard and USB mike, you don't need an interface. However, USB mikes have limited applications, and you may find it unsatisfactory.

Usually an interface is a better option. Its primary value is in replacing your computer's internal sound, and in so doing, reduces, if not eliminates, the lagging that concerns you. Playback takes place through the interface, not the computer, and headphones and speakers connect to the interface.

You can have an interface and still use your USB mike. You select it as an input device, with the interface as an output device. But I expect you would be better off without a USB, and just use a mike that connects to an interface.

... Headphone amp = takes a signal from, say, an interface, and allows feeds to a number of headphones.

[to further clarify]

Headphone amps usually also have the ability to power larger headphones, whereas the built-in headphone out from a computer's sound card (or even most interfaces) don't have the power to push higher impedance headsets. Most 32 or 64ohm headphones are fine, past that you would need/want a headphone amp capable of outputting higher wattage.

Back