question about transfering data to a new hard drive

a27thletter

not sure if i should post this here of another section,, ,, i needed more hard drive space on my comp since ive started getting more into digital recording, so i got a quantum hard drive from a friend and ran it as a slave drive off of my current hard drive, and formatted it and transfered all of my data from the existing hard drive over to it. the problem now is that when i try to boot up the computer with the quantum as the c: drive the computer doesnt recognise it as a drive. i've tried moving the jumper to different locations but it doesnt seem to make a difference, the lights are flashing on the hard drive so i know its working,. anyone know whats going on?

Ummm...

It would seem that you could just copy the entire contents of a system drive to another drive and boot from it, but... you can't.

simply copying the contents of one drive to another will not make it a system drive. There are files that don't get copied and system things that need to be in a specific place on the disk. You need a program like ghost to do what you are doing.
If you can have both drives in the computer at the same time, make the new one a slave and put all your audio there.

i'm using a program by western digital thats designed to transfer data between hard drives, its actually transfering over, i started it up a second ago and it booted up to the windows xp welcome page but then it sortof froze,.

Farview said:
If you can have both drives in the computer at the same time, make the new one a slave and put all your audio there.

i'll second that suggestion.
usually you buy a 2nd hard drive to be just that...a 2nd hard drive (slaved). switching primary drives is a bitch unless you format both and reinstall Windows

Back