Question about running a spectrum analyzer on a second computer

Mike Sheppard

Hey there! I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section.

I've been getting into music production (mostly EDM) for the last few months now. I have been running a spectrum analyzer on the computer that I write with, and the analyzer just uses to much CPU and bogs the computer down. I know that it can be run on a separate computer, but I just can't figure out how to do it.

My main computer is a MacBook Pro, and the one I want to try to run the spectrum analyzer on is a custom built PC desktop. I am using a Profire 610 as my interface with Rokit monitors. So I guess I somehow need to route the sound from the Mac to the PC to work for the spectrum analyzer, but I cannot figure out how. Could this be accomplished with a USB cable or something?

Sorry for the newbieness...

Thanks for the help!

There certainly are ways to do this, but I have two ideas first:

1. Only open the analyzer when you need to use it

2. Do you really need a spectrum analyzer in the first place - what are you using it for exactly? Spectrum analyzers can be useful for picking out specific frequencies on a single track when you're EQing - but I can't see why you would need it open all the time. Usually mixing "visually" with a spectrum analyzer only creates more problems than it solves.

guiarplayr82 is right, I feel. It seems inappropriately complicated to use a separate computer merely for spectral analysis. I use a spectrum analyser sometimes, to check in on individual tracks or sometimes the master but may remove it once I've gathered my info. But what's missing from your question is what software you're using in the first place. You may be using a particularly CPU-heavy 3rd party analyser or something native, bundled with your DAW. Your question will be focused for better answers if you can say what DAW and spectral analysis plugin you are using and the specs of your machine might also be taken into account.

Last edited:
Back