question about I/O

onmoris

I'm getting a little tripped up with some of the terminology here unfortunately. I'm looking at the M-Audio Firewire 410. If it says 4 ins 10 outs does that mean i will be able to record all 4 channels at the same time? the last thing i owned also said 4 inputs, but i they were grouped so i could only use 2 at a time. what do you think?

When they talk about inputs, look for the number of analog inputs. Vendors always include digital s/pdif inputs in the promo material. These are useless to you if all you've got is a bunch of mics

Bulls Hit said:
When they talk about inputs, look for the number of analog inputs. Vendors always include digital s/pdif inputs in the promo material. These are useless to you if all you've got is a bunch of mics

I've noticed this while shopping for a multi-channel sound card over the past couple of days. All I play are string instruments and only use mics or line outs. I've really had to dig into the specs to keep from getting somthing i can't use. I have no use for a digital input for anything. The Delta 1010 looks like a perfect solution and the Delta 44 a good economical alternative. Opinions ? Comments ?

Bulls Hit said:

Not necessarily, let's say you may want to use some decent preamps that have digital outs.....

There's not many preamps outputting digital.
Most mixers are still analog, unless you start going for the high end stuff in which case you're unlikely to want to record through a Firewire 410.

The Delta series of cards, 44, 66 1010 offer excellent quality & value and a decent number of analog inputs, but you still need preamps.

There's also the firepod option - a great combination of 8 analog inputs, 8 preamps, and firewire output

Back