question

next big thing

equipment i have:casio keyboard,roland vs-840,e machines 433 mhz(for now part of ????'s)acid hip hop 2.0,acid 1 bundeled version,cakewalk club trax,various loop disks,alesis sr-16 don't use much.

what i do:record my own music not many samples just create loops.mostly interested in hip hop styles.have my own page please visit and give feedback.

okay now for the questions.

if i were to build my own pc to work on my music with what would be the best system for around 500 dollars?
don't get me wrong eventually will invest more money in the future but for current situation not available to do so.
please check out my mp3 site and opinions are needed .songs up there are from most recent to first.thank you ahead of time for any suggestions.

lovestorap

If you only have $500 to invest in updating or replacing your PC, why not just keep using the 433 MHz? It should be adequate, especially if you are tracking to the VS...

re

just would like to get more,pc freezes all the time locks up .am wondering if it amount of live programs(not always running at same time)that is causeing malfunction.
agree that current pc is "working"just would like to upgrade with hopes of better quality of productions.

how much memory

just the standard that is on the e machine.but even with more ram what about the locking and freezing.so should i just buy components to make pc faster and more capable of quick actions.or do i need musically oriented applications?
thank you ahead of time

A couple of things you might be able to do for under $500:

(1) Is your drive controller a UDMA-33 or UDMA-66 controller? And the hard drive, is it 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? A UDMA-100 controller card if you need it might run around $50, and a 40-GB 7200 UDMA-100 drive can be had for well under $200. But this will mostly recording audio to the PC, which you don't sound as if you are doing.

(2) You probably have 64MB on your machine, which isn't really enough for these applications to run at their best. Try at least 128 MB. RAM is really cheap now.

You can find 256 Mb RAM for as low as 16$ on Pricewatch.com right now.

Freezing could be many things. Maybe reinstallation of some software could be in order. Even your OS.

Back