putting a wav file onto your computer without lossy-ness as a file

AudioLoser

So, a friend of mine recorded some of my music in his home recording studio, but he is no longer around:mad:.

However, he did make a cd for me using the original wav files from the recording. I want to record my own album now and put just one of those tracks on a cd along with the new songs. The problem is that I don't know if there are any programs out there in the free to low cost range that can put this album onto my computer without either converting it to mp3 or just burning it onto another cd. I found a program for converting WMU to WAV, but windows now calls the tracks on my cd ".cda" files.

Thnx in advance...

.cda files are just "pointer files"...they don't contain any audio data.

What you need is a basic audio CD ripper...and it will pull the WAV files off the CD and give them to you in that format.

Free CD Rippers

Of course, if you have Windows Media Player on your computer...you should be able to rip the CD with it.

Windows Media Player --> [Organize] --> [Options] --> [Rip Music]
For "Format"...pick WAV (lossless) from the pull-down menu.

With a handle like AudioLoser...why do you want audio "without lossy-ness"? :p ;)

Just a FYI - on a Mac, Audacity can import an audio file from a CD (shows up as AIFF-C) and then you can export the same file as WAV, AIFF, whatever.

For whatever reason, on Windows the same CD is just a bunch .cda files and they cannot be imported into Audacity. (You can, as obliqely suggested by [MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION], change the Windows Media Player, or iTunes on Windows, preferences to rip the CD as WAV files, and then locate them in Explorer.)

P.S. the audio files on the CD are 44.1kHz/16-bit so there's no reason to rip them at any different rate/bit, IMO.

(You can, as obliqely suggested by [MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION], change the Windows Media Player, or iTunes on Windows, preferences to rip the CD as WAV files, and then locate them in Explorer.)

I thought I was very explicit...with step-by-step instructions. :D ;)

Oh...you can also tell WMP where to rip them to...it's all there in the [Rip Music] section...that way you don't have to go looking for them. :)

I thought I was very explicit...with step-by-step instructions. :D ;)
Yeah, I might have misplayed an adverb there and thought about editing it, but I guess I would have started with that suggestion, since it sounded like a one-off kind of requirement. Your instructions were quite lovely, however, and I had to go find the (10yr) old Windows notebook under a pile and power adapter to confirm it!

A DAW like Adobe Audition can copy CD tracks as .wav as can Samplitude (any version) and I have been doing that for so long I no longer think about it but I am sure you can do the same in WMP?

If you don't want to stump up for a DAW just download the 30 day trial of Samplitude Pro X 3, do your rips then say "thank you very much"!

Oh! I guess Reaper can do it? Never tried....Yes:Import CD audio files using Reaper DAW. Or how to quickly rip audio CDs.

Dave.

Last edited:
.cda files are just "pointer files"...they don't contain any audio data.

What you need is a basic audio CD ripper...and it will pull the WAV files off the CD and give them to you in that format.

Of course, if you have Windows Media Player on your computer...you should be able to rip the CD with it.

Windows Media Player --> [Organize] --> [Options] --> [Rip Music]
For "Format"...pick WAV (lossless) from the pull-down menu.

With a handle like AudioLoser...why do you want audio "without lossy-ness"? :p ;)

thanks, glad to know i already had a program that could do this!

for organizational purposes, i would have really loved to have changed the track name, but i can't do this on the cd itself. Why is this?

for organizational purposes, i would have really loved to have changed the track name, but i can't do this on the cd itself. Why is this?

If it is a commercial CD, those are pressed. You cannot write to those. Once the CD has been ripped, then you can change the name, but on Windows machines, you will need to get a Wave editor as for whatever reason, Windows doesn't allow this out of the box.

Back