ProToolsLE problem... REWARD....

distortd6

hey guys... i just bought an MBox(Factory) and am having troubles with Pro Tools LE... for a while i got an error that said "The operating system held off intervals for too long. If this occurs often, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog" Errors # 6086 , 9093 , 9129

Mind you I can plug my axe in and can here it through the speakers/headphones... I just cant record anything!!

What is the deal with this??? I have set those options (CPU Percentages, and H/W Buffer size) to every possible combination of selections in that "playback engine dialog" and i still cant record anything....

when i go to start a new session, then create a new track, i throw it in record mode, get about 1.4 seconds thru it and the error pops up...

What is going on?!?????

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, moving the usb connections to other ports, i made all of my harddrives DMA... I cant firgure this one out... REWARD FOR ANYONE THAT CAN GET ME RECORDING....

I've had this MBOX for less then a week and havent really been able to use it yet... This is the worst investment i've ever made...

Comp specs:
Dell 4600
2.6 gHz Pentium 4
1 Gig Ram

A friend of mine was having a similar problem with his 001, and it took decreasing the buffer size to fix it, and I know that seems counterintuitive.

Might not help, might help:
I've heard many times that USB is not so ideal for audio recording because the connection is not as stable as something like a PCI card. That would mean bytes beeing dropped somewhere down the line, which could cause your problem. Mind you, this is purely a hear-say thing, since I don't use USB audio interfaces. You might try a different USB cable and see how that works out for you.

also, do you have hyperthreading enabled on your Pentium 4. Hyperthreading and Pro Tools do not work well together

review the digi website for compatibility information on what will and will not work with Pro Tools/Mbox. Do you have other applications running in the background??? Antivirus, firewall?? Also go to Musicxp.net to get some tweaks for Windows XP. What are you hard drive speeds and throughput capability?? are you recording to a separate audio hard drive or to your system drive?

It is imparetive that you set up your pc correctly. If you had a mac you could pretty much plug and go but with pc you need to make sure you set your pc up the exact way it tells you to. Also your pc MUST be completely compatable with what digidesign recommends. If you're set up isn't listed by digi as a compatable one then call them and ask. If you aren't compatable it isn't going to work.

Last edited:
ok... i have absolutely nothing running in the background... i went to Start->Run-> msconfig and turned EVERYTHING off except for what the bare minimum windows needs to run....

im pretty sure this is a software issue as I have to plug headphones into the MBOX to be able to listen to the demo that i can play... also... i can plug my guitar into the mbox and hear it... the hyperthreading brings up a good point BUT... how do i turn that off??? ive been in and out of my CMOS BIOS and also the device manager and cant find anything... im running Windows XP Home Edition, does someone know how to disable hyperthreading?

i bought a 120gig internal drive to record to and have had no luck installing and saving pro tools to either drive....
first drive is 40 gigs -> 7200RPM
slave drive is 120 gigs -> 7200RPM

suggestions???

you should run pro tools on your system drive and keep your audio files on your other drive

hyperthreading should be in your BIOS. It may be labled as HTT Support or something like that.

Back