Protecting your music?

it was you.

xoxo

actually.. dobro is just the biggest dickhead on the planet. face facts. ;)

he stole my line, too...

"use the search button, freakaziod, then get back to us!"
-camn

xoox

The Likeness of music

I've wrote songs that sound like other songs from bands
I've never even heard, and probably say I think they suck too.
With only 12 notes in the western music system
music is going to be somewhat similar.
So it's really impossible to copyright a riff.
All music as everything should be public domain anyway.
Cause We all know the best artists "Steal" other peoples ideas anyway. That's why all pop music, "crappy music," sounds the same.

"Whole lotta love"

Thats all that song is is a riff..

I dont think it has but 1 other change in it. :)

So can you copyright a riff?

Well, a blues player from the south sued Zepplin and won in court over "Whole lotta love" which basically is a 450000 min "riff"

so it can happen. rare indeed, but it can

But lets all not forget the lawsuit by a poor black blues man that sued Led Zepplin and won "Whole lotta love riff"

Is this a myth? Who's got the details/facts on this? "Whole Lotta Love" is basically Muddy Waters' "You Need Love"(or perhaps I only know it as his). It's just a heavily modified cover song. I can't imagine Page/Zep trying to dispute it. The riff is different but still very similar.

Seems like there's alot of us in this boat, its a bloody big one! hehe anyway, i am setting up a website soonish, with my songs on it, etc etc.. but i think now i will only upload a short part of each song, which is a deep shame. Therefore I would have to make ppl pay for the rest, or something like that. As copyrighting doesn't really cover a song, I've looked into it before, and my mum being in the law business has advised me that copyrighting a song is feasable, but pretty much useless in the court of law.

The main thing we should all say and do is not to steal other peoples work, sure play them to your hearts content, but never claim them as your own! it's wrongful and in my own opinion, damn ignorant! Write your own stuff. However i realise that the sort of ppl who steal others works, dont use this forum, but spread the word :)

P.S. i'll post the url when i get it up and running, hell maybe i'll let some of you guys have a song or two on me :D

aL

Well I came up with a no-brainer solution to posting samples on my web-site. Just post about 30 secs of the song. Just so they can get a taste of a song. They could still jack it but what are they going to do with a 30 beat haha.

Back