Properly setting XLR Mic on PC with Win7

Bells

Hello there!

I searched quite a bit to find just the right type of forum to post this, so i hope i can get my answers here. ANd would also be glad to help others in any way i can.

I wanted to start creating a Podcast with a friend of mine, but we are fairly new to this and we are learning as we go along. One of the biggest snags we had was in the audio department... there are something i can't figure it out, and some stuff that is just flat out weird. I'll provide as many information as i can right from the start, so any feedback would be majorly appreciated.

My PC has Windows7 and a Realtek HD onboard soundcard updated to the latest 2012 driver.

It has audio jackets on the back from the motherboard. And on the front, which are originally from the case, but connect directly to the motherboard (the wiring is linked to the power button). Right now i'm focusing my Microphone and headphone on the front jacket for commodity alone since i tend to move the wiring a while setting this up.

Also, when recording footage of games with voice over for the podcast, i plan on switching from the headphones to an USB Speaker to have the ambient sound of the game, so the mic is to pick up 2 people talking at around 2-3ft of it and a low volume speaker on the back. that' s the intended setup.

My Mic is this

Y793_3.jpg

Thats the EM-320E , a generic XLR condeser shotgun mic of fairly good quality. these are the specs i have of it for those who don't know it. I don't know very much anything about them.

Sensitivity:
Short Distance:-45dB
Long Distance:-38dB
Output Impedance:
Short Distance: 1kΩ
Long Distance: 2.3kΩ
Frequency response: 100Hz-16KHz
Power Source:DC 1.5V

It works with a Battery, and i made sure that the one in it is new and in good condition.

on my windows Setup i have the following

Clipboard02.jpg

Sorry about the portuguese, i'm from Brazil. Essentially, as you can see. the 320E is connected to my Front jacket, and i'm displaying only the connected devices and the disabled ones to show you that the Stereo Mix from my soundcard is turned off. Also, the mic is set as my Main Recording device.

This is the view on the HD Realtek control panel

e.jpg

As you can see, i'm only using the front jackets (right columm), my Boost is set to 0 (to avoid white noise) Acosutic Echo, Noise Suppression are off. All Effects are off on both the microphone and the headphone as to have no power problems.

On Advanced configurations i have set the playback devices to set frotn and back jackets as completely separated devices. And on recording devices, to keep each entry jacket as an independent entry.

Clipboard01tttt.jpg

Here just to be more complete, displaying the audio codec and version being used.

on top of that, i'm using Audacity as my recording software. My microphone is set to Tele.

with all that being said, here are my issues...

At first, when recording i noticed that my L channel was picking up all the audio. nearly nothing on the R Channel. I learned that the 3.5mm adapter on my mic to connect it to the PC was a Mono one. So i ordered an Stereo one that i'm still waiting to arrive. hope this solves some...

I also noticed some weird "leakage". For instance... without setting the mic to "listen to this device" on windows, if i amp the Boost on the Mic i CAN hear white noise on my Headphone. Not only that, but when i do hear the mic, i have a lot of echo.

Then, as i was watching some youtube videos to learn more about it, i noticed that my Mic was picking the audio from the headset on his own. Don't know why!

I actually moved my headset away from my head and the mic, placed under my pillow and keep the video playing. The Microphone would STILL pick up audio from the video, low, but clear. Even though i can't even hear it myself this way.... have no idea of what's going on here.

Other than that, i noticed that my voice is still too low. Not anything major, but its low... and i've seen videos from this Microphone that shows that i can be much better and louder with no hiss... so what gives?

What im trying to do here is to improve the quality of my recording. I can just boost the mic, but that would cause noise... the audio leaking is also super weird and annoying for what i intend to do... i know this is a good mic and that my Pc is in order, but i'm just now knowledgeable enough to get this going just quite right yet. So please, help me out here.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Sweetwater.com sells for $149 including shipping. Plugs into your usb 2.0 connection and gives you much better signal from you XLR mic. hope this helps! The bleedthrough from your headphones to the mic should also be eliminated by a decent interface.

You'll need to also get an actual xlr cable. The xlr to 1/4 and then adapting to 1/8 is probably where your white noise is coming from.

Then again, for about $30 you can get a USB to XLR cable. Don't know how well they work, but for the price it might be worth the go (especially if you can pick one up and then return it later if it doesn't work out)...ask a local salesman about that possibility.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Sweetwater.com sells for $149 including shipping. Plugs into your usb 2.0 connection and gives you much better signal from you XLR mic. hope this helps! The bleedthrough from your headphones to the mic should also be eliminated by a decent interface.

You'll need to also get an actual xlr cable. The xlr to 1/4 and then adapting to 1/8 is probably where your white noise is coming from.

Oh hey thanks for that! i remembered that i actually do have a secondary XLR cable that doesn't need the adapter, i just plugged it in and Voila! Stereo!

However, the leaking is still there. Quite annoying actually... it is literally as if my Microphone was receiving direct feed from my headphone.

Actually, right now i completely unplugged my headphone... my pc right now, only has the microphone set to tele plugged in. No spakers, no headphones.

I click play on the youtube video, set to monitor my mic on Audacity... and the microphone is not picking up any audio at all. But i can still record with it.

I must be configuring something wrong. Cause, as soon as i plug the headphone back in... the Mic Monitor on audacity keeps reading the audio feed from the video im listening too... very weird!

EDIT:

Ok, i resolved the leaking. You can chalk that one up to my PC being overly stupid... you see, apparently the liking came from the WIRING of the case's audio jackets. As soon as i moved my headphone to the back jackets of my pc and kept the microphone on the front jacket... the leaking was gone.

Now im trying to just deal with the proper configuration of Volume and eliminating white noise. I'm keepign the mic with 0db boost, +10db is already giving me a little hiss, and the Noise canceling from Realtek gives me an echo, so its useless...

Last edited:
Back