Processor adivce asap...

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

VS.

2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5

Price difference between the two computers is 80 dollars.

All other components are comparable and the same.

The Core i5 uses a newer architecture, so it will be a lot faster, as well as more suitable for future upgrades. The LGA 775 socket is obsolete now, so buying a Core 2 Duo doesn't make much sense.

Just make sure your motherboard is compatible with the CPU.

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

VS.

2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5

Price difference between the two computers is 80 dollars.

All other components are comparable and the same.
I thought all the i5s were quad-core ........ ah, I see the 2390T is dual core.

Can't help ..... wifey has a i7 'puter which is quad and it rocks.

There really isn't any sense in buying a dual core nowadays. Quad cores are useful, especially for things like home recording.

If they stayed current, technology would cease to move forward.

If you're like me, you like to upgrade every 1-2 years, but for the average user, getting a new computer every 5 years will do.

If you want to save money on future upgrades, I suggest building the computer yourself. It'll be easier to upgrade without buying a whole new computer, and you'll get higher quality parts. Plus, there's nothing better than a fresh Windows install with no bloatware.

...Sorry, I'm used to posting on tech forums

The Core i5 uses a newer architecture, so it will be a lot faster, as well as more suitable for future upgrades. The LGA 775 socket is obsolete now, so buying a Core 2 Duo doesn't make much sense.

Just make sure your motherboard is compatible with the CPU.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. The motherboard in my studio PC will be turning 5 in July, along with the Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU that I bought for it. When it was purchased it was in the top of its product line, and it performs at the same level as my 2011 MacBook Pro. Sure the architecture behind the i5 series is different than the Core 2, but why upgrade just because it's a new product? Technology is lasting so much longer than it did even 5 or 6 years ago. BTW I'm assuming you're looking on EBay for a Core 2 Duo.

A good amount of the performance of a CPU also has to do with the bus speeds of the motherboard. Do you have the make/model of the board that you have?

You'd need to look up reviews and charts for specific models.

No one can say i5 is faster than core2duo cos there are just too many models in each category.

I'd be surprised if the absolute base model i5 performs better than an x6800, for example.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. The motherboard in my studio PC will be turning 5 in July, along with the Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU that I bought for it. When it was purchased it was in the top of its product line, and it performs at the same level as my 2011 MacBook Pro. Sure the architecture behind the i5 series is different than the Core 2, but why upgrade just because it's a new product? Technology is lasting so much longer than it did even 5 or 6 years ago. BTW I'm assuming you're looking on EBay for a Core 2 Duo.

A good amount of the performance of a CPU also has to do with the bus speeds of the motherboard. Do you have the make/model of the board that you have?

I'm not saying that someone with a C2D PC should upgrade just for the sake of upgrading; I'm saying that it doesn't make much sense to buy outdated components now. It's much smarter to spend the money on an LGA 1155 motherboard and cpu, since that's what's current. It might seem more cost-effective to buy LGA 775 parts, but it won't be in a few years when it's impossible to get enough speed out of such a setup.

Back