Process of Live sequencing and backup track

audioscream

Hello everyone....i really would like to know what is the process of the backup live sequencing and how does the drummer and the other musicians follow it at the gig...for an example like Nightwish or Kamelot...how to they do that..??...what gears does it need..???....i am using a window based laptop and cubase...i have read many forums and haven't got much details about the process...like i would like to use an orchestral backup alongside live playing keyboard,guitar,bass,drums and a singer....how can we follow the backup track?...would really appreciate if anyone shed some light in this topic..been looking for an answer a long time...:)

Sorry if i posted on a wrong thread...but i think this is the correct one since its related with computers...:)....thanks in advance...!!!

You set up a click track that is fed to the drummer (usually) only via headphones/in-ear monitor, with a count-off for starting playing. The click track needs to pay continuously so that the drummer keeps time with it, so that the backing tracks start at the right time. Before doing this, make sure your drummer can follow a click-track!

Yup. What he said.
This is not something that you just decide to do. I worked in a band that had some sequenced songs when I joined, and others added along the way. It requires a full band practice to get accustomed to the tune.

Yes i know those things what you guys mentioned above....my question is how can i separate the FOH track and click track on the stage?..and what DAW do i need to do it..??...is there any video tutorial for that...??..i think that would be great...:)

Just playing along with backing tracks can work from any DAW. If you have a multi out sound card, you can change the output of the Click track to a mono out, with the "backing tracks" being fed from a different stereo out. This way you keep the click separate.

As for DAW, i would strongly suggest Ableton Live, as you are able to "jam" the whole tune. So you can change section lengths or restart a chorus. This also gives you the ability to re-drop sections if anyone cocks up the the structure. Ableton is perfect for the job, and very useful to have for writing purposes too... makes it far easier to be creative.

Yes i know those things what you guys mentioned above....my question is how can i separate the FOH track and click track on the stage?..and what DAW do i need to do it..??...is there any video tutorial for that...??..i think that would be great...:)

You'll need an audio interface that lets you do multiple outs, of course - monitor mix for the click track, main out for the backing track.

Yes... you need a source that has at least 2 tracks available, like... left/right. We use a cheap Pad PC. we set up the left track to hold the 'click' track. it can be anything that the drummer, or band prefers. Some like a snare sound, some like a cow bell, others prefer the wood clacker sound. Whatever you choose, it should be accepatable to everyone who will hear it. the right track of the output contains the sounds that will go to the FOH - back up vocals, strings, rhythmn sounds, special effects. Don't forget to also add the sequenced sounds to the 'click' track as desired by the band. You can put anything useful you want on the 'click' track - pre-arrange patter, starting tones for the weaker vocalists, lyric reminders.

This kind of arrangement works best if all band memebers are on in-ear monitors. Otherwise, the audience might hear the clicks thru the floor wedges, which is a bad thing.

Back