Problems with recording sound onto my computer

Nico405

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5240, a Shure sm57 mic and an Alesis 4-channel audio mixer. When I first tried recording sound into Ableton with my microphone, the sound came out very distorted. There were clicking sounds and the actual voice itself was warped. I tried then recording with the internal mic of the computer to see if the mic was the issue, but even that gave off the same quality. I even tried working with Audacity to see if it was a software issue (same problems as Ableton). When I recorded with my mic onto Garageband on an Apple computer, the sound played back beautifully.

I am pretty sure this is not any sort of clipping problem, but I was wondering if anybody might know what the problem is and how I might go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have two main problems.

The first is a mismatch in levels between mixer and computer, e.g. the mixer is outputting line level which is too hot for the input of the Toshiba, which may be expecting a lower mike level.

The second is the inability of the Toshiba's audio system to record properly. This may be because of other stuff that it is doing at the same time, such as virus checking, or wi-fi seeking.

The problems don't emerge on the Apple because it is likely that the Apple has better internal components.

The way to fix it is to:

1 get a dedicated audio interface. Whether Apple or anything elser, if you are thinking seriously about recording, you will need to take this step; and
2 when recording, turn off all polling applications (screen saver, virus checker and so on).

From memory of a Toshiba laptop I had many years ago, the audio input was mic level only and couldn't handle line levels like your mixer will be putting out...this will result in your levels being around 40dB too hot if this is still the case. I don't know if Toshiba still work this way--lots of other Windows based laptops can handle line or mic.

Gecko is spot on with the suggestion of a USB interface. Even with Macs, the internal sound cards pretty quickly show problems when used for serious recording rather than game play and Skype calls.

Have you been experiencing the problems while using that interface?

If so, then you need to examine your gain settings on it if you are getting distortion. Or make sure you are using the right input.

The clicking sounds could be associated with drivers, or maybe buffer size, or maybe other stuff working in the background on the laptop.

Yes! You threw us a curve ball when you said "mixer" not iO4 interface.

My thoughts are the same as arcaxis--since this affects two different DAWs it's almost certainly a driver issue. I'm surprised that Alesis don't have a dedicated driver for this unit--they do for their iO2--but I'd grab the latest version of ASIO4ALL ( iO4 4-Channel, 24-Bit Recording Interface ) then make sure that Ableton is set up to use this (Options/Preferences/Audio--you select the driver type and driver on drop down menus. Note that you may have to go to the Windows Audio control panel and make the Alesis your default device on the record and playback tabs.)

Thank you! Ah, I'm sorry for messing up the terms; I don't have a mixer I just have that interface.

So,
- Do you hear the distortion when using headphones plugged into the IO4? I just tried recording through audacity and the sound was not distorted when played back through headphones. Does that mean the file will come out as it sounds on the headphones?
- Do mp3 files other than what you've recorded playback OK? The mp3 files played are okay quality; I guess the speakers aren't too great. I tried the playback through the iO4 and it sounded good.
- Is there much running in the background for programs that could compete for processor time? I don't start any programs, but there are features that connect through the internet and automatically start with my computer (e.g. Adobe Cloud, Autodesk)
- What operating system on the Toshiba? Windows 8.1

So, new development, as I stated before, I tried listening to my recorded sound with the playback through iO4, and the recorded sound sounded good! So this must just mean that my speakers are not that great?

On another note, I tried recording again in Ableton to see if it would sound alright. I did the playback through headphones so there was no distortion on sound, but when I recorded with my mic, there was a constant skipping. I tried recording with my internal microphone and there was no such problem. So now, no voice distortion (when not played back through the speakers), but am confused about why there is a timed skipping in the track recorded with the external microphone (through the interface). Perhaps this is a problem that can be solved by changing ableton settings?

Maybe, if Ableton is not showing red anywhere, then it isn't Ableton. If you have speakers hooked up to your interface, make sure the output volume isn't at full level. Bring the output volume on the interface to about 75%. Even if you aren't turning it up loud, you could be driving the output too hard.

Just a thought.

Hello again,

Thanks again everyone! I downloaded the drivers that you directed me to and changed the settings. The sound recorded fine! I think we're good.

:D

Still can't edit! If I hit the edit button I just get another Quick Reply box but empty. The laptop has been cleaned of all old files and set back to factory status i.e. Recovered. In all other respects it is as new (even had to get rid of Norton again!) but still plays silly buggers with HR. Must be IE11 I think but since all other forums "behave" I shall still with it.

2i4 clipping. I did not notice that the OP HAD engaged the pad? We have a Focusrite man (Paul?) on the strength. I wonder, did a few AIs escape with the wrong resistors stuffed for the pad on the PCB?

Dave.

Back