Problems with Presonus Firestudio and Cubase 5.

geeorj

Mainly with the control panel, I'm simply trying to work out the matrix on this thing...so that I have playback for mic/instrument input 1 + 2 and playback from the daw aswell (at the same level). I use jack splitters so that I can get a stereo signal from two channel outputs into one jack input for the speakers, and I'm hoping to get general purpose output 1+2 for guitar playback as i'm playing, and general purpose 3+4 for daw playback.

The matrix is too difficult for me to figure out, using the faders on the digital mixer does nothing to the output, the manual doesn't help, and I've tried winging my way through it for the best part of the day...the best result i've had is that either the daw or the instrument inputs have to compromise one out of two channels - so I can configure the daw to be nice and loud in stereo, but the instrument inputs have to sacrifice and be on the right channel....and vice versa...(panning the mixer's analogue outputs does make a difference, but I can't pan anything other than completely right or else audio fades)

The thing I'm confused most about the matrix is that even though I've got my output from the general purpose outputs 1+2 going to speakers, the matrix sees it as analogue 2+3 outputs, even when I'm not using general purpose/daw output 3.

Confusing as hell and need advice, I'm supposed to recording tomorrow...
Thanks guys, Andy

Not sure if this is gonna answer your question but here it goes.

Pick a mix to be your main outs. Let's say mix #1. You can see all of the the inputs and mix them accordingly. Then you can also see the DAW ins which will be what's coming back from the DAW. I think the default is just channels 1 & 2. You can also mix this in as required. Then in the bottom right (i think, i'm doing this from memory) you can select which outputs you want that mix to come out of (1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8) so choose which one you have your monitors connected to and that's the main mix. It was a little daunting at first for me too but once you understand it you can mix anything and send it to any output with ease.

Now if you want something different coming from another set of outs just add a mix and repeat the process and you can have up to 4 different mixes going to 4 sets of stereo outs.

Hope that makes sense. If your still having problems let me know, one way or the other I'll be able to get you through this.

Hi Tetra, thanks for your feedback.

I gave it a shot with the mixer outputs (1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8) and it's still getting really confused. If I set the daw to outputs 1 & 2, and DAW 1 & 2 have been solo'd on the mixer (no matrix involved), no signal comes out...am I supposed to be using the 8 General Purpose Outputs on the back of the interface for this? because even with the daw mixed straight to 1 & 2, and I have the GPO's 1 & 2 on the interface hooked directly to speakers, I still get nothing. Starting to think all my outputs aren't working correctly.

From that point, with speakers still only hooked through GPO 1 & 2, going to the matrix and setting DAW1 to analogue output 3 is the only thing that achieves any sound, and that's only coming through the right speaker.

That's the first part anyway...am I missing something?

OK, So let's tackle one problem at a time. Now you say the outputs are being sent to DAW 1 & 2. So now in the mixer window of the presonus software you should see the meters going in the bottom left for DAW 1 & 2, Right???? If so you should also make sure that the output for that mix is GPO 1 & 2. You should be able to see the meters going on the master too. If so you should be getting some signal out of GPO 1 & 2.

Something else to try would be to use the main outs and on the matrix window you can set out 1 & 2 to be the main mix as well, just click the little MO above the fader on the appropriate set of outs.

Okay here are the screenshots for cubase when it runs full volume in stereo.

So I'm using General Purpose Outputs 1 & 2 in a two-to-one splitter:

FSGPO.jpg

Using another splitter for inputs 1 and 2 on the front for guitar (if this helps at all):

FSinputs.jpg

The digital mixer, where altering or panning the channel faders does absolutely nothing and the level meters don't move at all - the matrix only registers analogue outputs 2 & 3 (next screenshot), so if I send the mix to outputs 1 & 2, cubase is panned left, and if I choose 3 & 4, cubase is panned right:

FSCubasemixwhenitworks.jpg

And the matrix which completely ignores the first analogue output and only registers 2 & 3. Same for the guitar, these are the only two channels that work for me in this configuration. I've tried setting the DAW mix to ouputs 1 & 2 AND 3 & 4 on the mixer to cover 2 & 3, but still to no avail.

FSCubasematrixwhenitworks.jpg

If I want only cubase or only guitar playback, I'm fine setting this up. It's when I want cubase running full volume in stereo and playing guitar along to it in stereo when it hits a snag, and if I plug guitars into GPO 3 & 4 say, it runs into the same problem and I need to set it to analogue outputs 4 & 5 which are drastically quieter for some reason. Again, changing the faders on the mixer does nothing, and changing the faders under the matrix just cuts out the respective channel.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: urrgh!

Okay here are the screenshots for cubase when it runs full volume in stereo.

The digital mixer, where altering or panning the channel faders does absolutely nothing and the level meters don't move at all - the matrix only registers analogue outputs 2 & 3 (next screenshot), so if I send the mix to outputs 1 & 2, cubase is panned left, and if I choose 3 & 4, cubase is panned right:
Thats because your routing DAW 1 to Output 2 and DAW 2 to output 3 so when you use 1 & 2 only 2 is getting picked up and when you use 3&4 only 3 is used.

You don't want to do it this way anyway. You want to send a mix to the outs not the individual ins. (see below)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, Now we are getting somewhere...

First of all in cubase do you have the outputs configured to DAW 1 & 2?

On this screen the meters show the input level and the faders are for the level going into the mix. On DAW 1 & 2 do you see levels? What about Inst/Mic 1 & 2? Now one thing that concerns me from this screen is that the master fader is down at nothing yet the meters are full and clipping. What's up with that. The master is the final place to set the level of the mix before it's sent to the outs. If these meters don't move something is up.
Also on the button labeled "1/2", you need to select that to send this mix to outs 1 & 2. I'm not sure why you are labelling them left/right.
FSCubasemixwhenitworks.jpg

Now on this screen above channels 1 & 2 Where it says "Mix Source" This will now have the name of your mix if you selected the "1/2" button on the previous screen.
You also need to set the levels for channels labeled Analog 1 & 2, generally if your mix level is set right these should be set at 0 (there at -96 right now).
Now the only time you should ever have to screw around on this screen is if you need to route an individual in to one of the outs. Otherwise everything else should be managed in the Mix window.
I should also mention that on this screen you can select what goes to the mains and the phones by highlighting the little MO P1 indicators. (currently set on Analog 7&8)
FSCubasematrixwhenitworks.jpg

So you can do what you want by setting the fader for DAW 1&2 and the faders for Inst 1&2 in the mix window. Controlling the levels for the guitar and the mix from the DAW.

I'm sure I'm missing something but we are in the right direction.

I get absolutely no level meter response for DAW 1 & 2 (or anything else for that matter) on the mixer even when I set the Cubase VST outputs to those specific outputs. If I raise the faders, the level meters simply follow it with what looks like a constant signal, and it doesn't move :S even when no sound is playing through cubase, it gives me the signal - it's like the mixer is completely redundant, and it's only the matrix that's giving me any real signal.

If I raise the DAW 1 & 2 channel faders on the mixer to 0, it just gives me the bs constant signal thing and if I set it to outputs 1 & 2 I get nothing. It's when I take it off the mixer outputs 1 & 2 and it responds to what I've done on the matrix when it's set to analogue outs 2 & 3. Using the faders on the matrix doesn't make a difference either...if it's set to anything other than -96dB, the sound cuts out on that respective channel.

Sounds like I have a software fault? is there anything else I have to do to route cubase into the mixer apart from setting the vst connections to DAW 1 & 2?

I don't know cubase, but this splitter thing caught my attention.

First, i could be wrong, but it kinda looks like your using these splitters and cables to connect your outputs to your inputs.

If this is what you're doing, it would explain the "bs constant signal thing". A feedback loop?

Also, why are you using a cable and a splitter to feed inputs one and two.
Is this for one guitar?
Is the cable that goes into the splitter balanced or unbalanced?

If it's unbalanced, then only one side of your splitter is going to carry signal anyway, and if it's one guitar your working with, just loose the splitter all together.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're doing.

Hi Steen,

The splitters in the back of the device go directly into the speaker inputs, and the splitters from the front come from a phonic graphic eq unit so I can record in stereo. They're definitely balanced because there is a clear stereo output when the matrix is configured in the right way, and both channels record spotlessly from the inputs.

Though this is an intriguing angle on the situation and I'll see what happens playing with the inputs and outputs and seeing if it changes anything at all, thanks.

...Would still ultimately love to sort out the mixer software problem above it all, genuinely think something's up.

Hi Steen,

The splitters in the back of the device go directly into the speaker inputs, and the splitters from the front come from a phonic graphic eq unit so I can record in stereo. They're definitely balanced because there is a clear stereo output when the matrix is configured in the right way, and both channels record spotlessly from the inputs.

Though this is an intriguing angle on the situation and I'll see what happens playing with the inputs and outputs and seeing if it changes anything at all, thanks.

...Would still ultimately love to sort out the mixer software problem above it all, genuinely think something's up.

Yeah, Those master levels shouldn't be pinned like that for sure.

What Firewire card / chipset are you using? I had all sorts of weird problems before I got one they recommend.

No sweat OP. I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth asking.

Sorry, i can't really help much further. Hope you get sorted.

My FW card is a Belkin 3-port with TI chipset, apparently the industry standard firewire card. Steen thanks for your help, but I got rid of the splitters and hasn't helped the situation really...

Apparently it isn't compatible with a Soundblaster Audigy card? Just read that on a website somewhere and that's exactly the card I have, so...don't really wanna spend any more money, and doesn't seem like that would effect the Presonus digital mixer at all.

Searched around for other threads and other people who might have had this problem, and no luck. Starting to go into luddite mode :P

Hold on, where does the soundblaster come into it?

I re skimmed the post, I may have missed it if you're using a firestudio you should remove or disable any other soundcards.
That includes built in audio and soundblaster cards which are pretty much glorified built in audio cards.

I can't see how this would contribute to your problem, but it's best to eliminate everything that you can.

Back