Problems with audio interface

Dweezil

I have had no end of problems using a Focusrite 2i4 with Window 7 64 bit. First a constant hum which I had to remove using a ground loop isolator, then computer blue screens, sounf frezing when playing video clips and worst of all sound freezing when using recording programs (FL Studio 12) I have been back and forth to Fosucrite support and though well intentions I have never got it sorted.

I then made the mistake of buying a Steinberg US22, only to find it was WORSe with constant sound dropouts. Again it seems to be a driver issues. Despite Focusrite's new driver. the problem persist.

I soimply want to buy an external usb interface that will be trouble free. I have contemplated buying a new computer and everything, but sure there must be one usb interface that works with Windows 7 64bit flawlessly?!!

Cheers

Johnny

I have had no end of problems using a Focusrite 2i4 with Window 7 64 bit. First a constant hum which I had to remove using a ground loop isolator, then computer blue screens, sounf frezing when playing video clips and worst of all sound freezing when using recording programs (FL Studio 12) I have been back and forth to Fosucrite support and though well intentions I have never got it sorted.

I then made the mistake of buying a Steinberg US22, only to find it was WORSe with constant sound dropouts. Again it seems to be a driver issues. Despite Focusrite's new driver. the problem persist.

I soimply want to buy an external usb interface that will be trouble free. I have contemplated buying a new computer and everything, but sure there must be one usb interface that works with Windows 7 64bit flawlessly?!!

Cheers

Johnny

There are interfaces that work seamlessly with W7. I have had a few myself but have seen many issues with others.

One possible and most likely problem that occurs with interface and drivers is that the system the particular interface/OS is installed on has issues with itself. Most often it seems a graphics card, mobo chipset or USB controller that is not communicating smoothly. Any one of these can cause issues with your real-time audio if the hardware is not working together well. What does work best is not easy to answer. :(

For better understanding of how it works check THIS out.

And yes, I have been on the Steinberg forum thread many times about the UR22 (which I assume you meant). Keep in mind 99% (just my guess of percentage) do not have any issues at all. I had the same random audio dropouts with the UR824 after a new system build. And strangely enough, the only UR824 user that I had heard of with this issue. The issue for me was resolved with a new motherboard after 6 months of trying multiple PCIe USB controllers and drastic change of system settings. In the end it seems the motherboard I was using was just not working with the software, or drivers, or the built in graphics, or.... Who friggen knows. Steinberg couldn't answer the question and neither could the two 'in home' computer techs that I hired to find it.

Bottom line is that sometimes one PC works well for recording. While sometimes a slightly different system will not. If you do decide to go to a new system, go with an exact build that others are not having issues with.

And in case you haven't already tried, there are some worthy steps you should take to get the most from your PC for audio recording. Some really great advise HERE.

Hmmm...one interface cause problems could be driver or hardware issues but two different interfaces (though possibly just a coincidence) would have me looking at the computer.

Jimmy's link to the optimisation guide would be an excellent place to start, paying particular attention to the bits about getting rid of anything unnecessary in background. I'd also have a look at whether the USB ports on your computer are working properly--there are lots of sites with advice on troubleshooting USB port problems. I don't have personal experience on any of them so hesitate to recommend one. However, I know that, of the four ports on my computer, one seems better for audio work so, if nothing else, it might be worth doing some juggling.

I have read of (a very few to be fair) issues with F'rite interfaces but this is the first time I have read of any with the UR22.
I have 3 different w7/64 desktops. HP 2 core, Asus home build with an AMD 6300 6 core CPU. Asus HB with an AMD 2 core 3G CPU and these have all run in their time an NI KA6, F'rite 8i6, Tascam 144, ZED10 USB nixer, Alesis i02, Behringer UCA 202. Not a stellar range of AIs but all worked fine on each PC.

Two things to try.
1) Get a PCIe USB 3.0 card. Cheap as chips for a 2 port and can fit in a new machine. The different controller might JUST make a difference.
2)Try the PC in Safe Mode. If this works it could point to a graphics problem (again, another Graph card with different drivers might help but not nearly as cheap as USB cards!)

Dave.

Some cards have issues with USB 3.0 ports, make sure you are not plugging into one of those (a quick and easy check, even if remote). I agree with ecc. One interface, I suspect the interface, two, I suspect the computer.

A few possible problems:
HD could be going bad and Virtual RAM/Memory sector is corrupt - do a check disk and fix under tools
Actual RAM has a bad spot - I find this to be remote, but it could happen. Only way to troubleshoot is if you have more than one stick. Take one out, test, if errors, remove it, repeat. If it errors, then that is not the issue.
Graphics Card - This is where I see most issues today, the cards they push out interacts with the system as much a the main CPU. Try updating drivers. If that doesn't work, try a new one (get one where you can return it in case this is not the issue)
Last but least, MB. Do a search on your MB and see what types of issues people are reporting.

I wouldn't waste any time troubleshooting your interface, the root cause is somewhere else. I strongly suspect deteriorating HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. Something to get me teeth into.

Yes... I strongly suspect the problem is my computer. I would get the most dreadful cracking popping sounds from my speakers from the word go when I booted up using the Focusrite, and blue death screens frequently. I have always suspected it was some driver clash issue. One guy solved things by using a new user account !! Focusrite Scarlett Sound Card - Techniqual Driver Problem - Audiofanzine I might try that.

My computer is an intel core i5 4760 CPU 3.4 ghz bios American Megatrends Motherboard Gigabyte B85m HD3 Installed physical memory 8 GB Intel HD graphics 4600. All yours for $7.25 ........or come and help me smash it with hammers I'll provide !!

I have tried a all tweaks to optimize recording hoping this might solve things using the "Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7" on the Focusrite site, I have gone from USB 3 to 2 and back again, currently using USB 2 as Focusrite prefers these apparently. A friend spent and hour trying to get the UR22 working and did....flawlessly....for 3 minutes. He then suggested I throw money at an IMAC. I was tempted but find Apple extremely propitiatory and can't be bothered starting with Apple from scratch.

Oh for the glory days when I had a humble Echo Mia safely installed in my old computer when internal sound cards worked sweetly. I am now forced to use the external usb route, which work brilliantly for 99.5% of the population. I have no idea why my computer is such a lemon when it comes to recording, but will battle on with possible fixes. Lord knows I've tried a few already and unwisely thought the UR22 was the light at the end of a very long tunnel....only to meet the sound dropout train from hell coming the other way!!

Thanks again

Johnny

ps I might well try this @ecc83 "PCIe USB 3.0 card. Cheap as chips for a 2 port and can fit in a new machine"......... to avoid being a hamster stuck on a wheel.

ps I might well try this @ecc83 "PCIe USB 3.0 card. Cheap as chips for a 2 port and can fit in a new machine"......... to avoid being a hamster stuck on a wheel.

Super! Also, note the manfctr and model of the hard drive and memory and get their test programs. GOT to be one or the other I would think, that PC should hiss all over a bit of audio, this modest i3 laptop will run an NI KA6 or 8i6 no sweat. I used it two years ago to record a jam night, nary a blink in 3 hours with the KA6.

Dave.

Having followed every possible step to improve audio performance, installing latest Focusrite beta drivers, fiddling with UBS ports, updating my graphics card driver, I succeeded in making sound performance worse. Sound works fine then after a while turns the mush, slows down. I also having probelms when playing a video...if I scroll forward the sound often crashes. The video player ( Pot Player) freezes and crashes Same when I am playing back YOutube clips and scroll forward.
I get loud pops connecting the Focusrite or even booting up. I used to get violent loud pops at startup...I think this has improved, but still not "seamless" Even the DAW I am currently using Mixcraft Pro 7 freezes when I try to close it and I cannot close it via task manager processes or apps of even other programs. The focusrite support team have given up on me ( their solution was "try reinstalling the driver !!)

I have now decided to buy another computer as a solution and looking at grabbing this
Dell T5500
2x Intel E5620 Quad Core 5.86GT/s 64bit
4 Core 8Thread
12MB Smart Cache
12GB DDR3 Reg ECC Ram Triple Channel
Is capable of 72GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD HDD
1TB WD Blue 64Mb Cache
Windows 7 Pro 64bit installed

Sorry to "reappear", but has anyone ever used one of these computers trouble free with Focustrite 2i4 or Steinberg UR22. Otherwise I could be out of the frying pan and into the fire financially yet again !! But, for trouble free audio, after months and years of....." I've fixed..oh no I haven't..I've fixed it..oh no I haven't" I am prepared to throw yet more money at it !!

Cheers and thanks

Johnny

Update. Just looked at a review of a Dell Optiplex 790 and noted this comment, albeit dated 2012 "I want to install a pci audio card on my 790 at work and there is no way in the bios to disable the integrated audio. Dell likes to lock down any real bios options." Would this cause problems an external audio interface ?

Maybe Dell not the way to go. I am open to suggestions of any computer setup that is working great with Focusrite2i4 and will try and hunt one down. Sadly there is nothing wrong with my current computer at all apart from "audio problems form hell" It never seems to be a CPU problem Advanced System Care 9 displays my CPU usage on screen whcih remains low.

Update. Just looked at a review of a Dell Optiplex 790 and noted this comment, albeit dated 2012 "I want to install a pci audio card on my 790 at work and there is no way in the bios to disable the integrated audio. Dell likes to lock down any real bios options." Would this cause problems an external audio interface ?

Maybe Dell not the way to go. I am open to suggestions of any computer setup that is working great with Focusrite2i4 and will try and hunt one down. Sadly there is nothing wrong with my current computer at all apart from "audio problems form hell" It never seems to be a CPU problem Advanced System Care 9 displays my CPU usage on screen whcih remains low.

What is your budget man? Early on I had a few Optiplex bastards and they were not ideal.

If you are serious about recording I would go with something that will hold it's own for years, not just a bit better for now. I am on computer build #3 in 5 years. I wish I would have done things different the first time and spent a bit more and set them up differently. But then some things are cheaper now... blah blah...

Like Jimmys, I too have heard bad things about Dell for audio but then I had a Dell laptop that ran my KA6 fine. Mind you, the KA6 IS the slapper of interfaces, will bang with almost anything!

Again, with James, go self build. I have done two and I am NO computer guru! Also, having trouble pricing that T5500? $9k?? Then I see it for £350 here. Not being able to turn OBS off in BIOS* should not really be a bother. Just disable in Device Manager but in truth, now that you can set the audio default in W7 AND using ASIO drivers, it is not the bother it was. Turn off Win bloops and bleeps tho'but!

I don't know the consumer law in your 10/20 but here in UK we have the "Distance Trading Regulation". This means you can send back any mail ordered product WITHOUT ANY REASON within a week (I think, might be two) Thus I could set my stall out and as soon as new PC arrived, thrash the buggery out of it and if there was a snag, get shot.

Also ask the guys at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media

*Not called "BIOS" any more "Eooof" or sommat?

Dave.

The T5500 is $400 NZ (181 GDP) which is about what I am prepared to spend. A friend say go the Mac route, but that would be $700 minimum and a bit propitiatory. If I can get away with the Dell it might do in the meantime...or any computer second hand at about that cheap and cheerful price. Sadly my current computer is probably as good, if not better, but a lemon for sound.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

" Sadly my current computer is probably as good, if not better, but a lemon for sound."

Quite frankly I don't believe that. In the limit, if the memory and HDD test out ok, format the C drive and re install windows. Lot of hassle I know since you have to re install all your other software but I bet it fixes 't'bugger!

Ooo! Jusfort...BIOS upgrade?
Dave.

If you've got a Dell already, try it, but don't buy a new one. The components in new Dells are cheap-ass. Motherboards burn out, hard drives fry within 3-4 years. I had 2 plus my wife's and they all crapped out. We used to use them at work, too, but have replaced all with HPs now.

Back