Problem with Saffire device

waynefal84

My PC: HP p7-1254
CPU: AMD Quad-core A6-3620
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24

I installed a SIIG firewire PCIe card with TI chipset. Today I hooked everything up and immediately came upon a problem: Windows said it couldn't find a driver. I went to the focusrite website and downloaded the only thing they had available (Mix Control 3.1). Both Mix Control and Saffire Control are not detecting my Saffire device even though all 3 green lights on front of the box(power, FW and LKD) are lit up. I'm looking at my device manager and I'm a bit confused by what I see. There appear to be 2 separate Saffire devices
saffdevmang1.jpg

The Saffire device on the bottom, far left seems to be the one that the controller is trying to connect with but the one to the right of it is the only one that gives me sound configuration options. I'm assuming that the saffire device on the right is the one I want the software to detect. Does anyone know what is going on here?

I would delete both and start over.

Did you have the device hooked up while you installed the driver?
Usually (you have to check the instructions) you need to install the drivers before you hook up or turn on the interface.

Still freezes my computer. I uninstalled everything, disconnected the Saffire and restarted my PC. Then reinstalled Mix Control 3.1 before hooking up the interface. The latest version doesn't connect with the interface and the version that came in the box (v2.4) connects fine but it freezes my PC as soon as it's open.

I also tried installing it on my old PC which runs on WinXP and it worked without a problem. I even had the interface hooked up before installing Mix Control. Only thing is that I don't want to use that computer for recording because I don't think it's up to the task, performance-wise (might not be able to handle a decent DAW). Besides, I have too much crap on that computer already. I really want this to work on my new Win7 system but I guess that's just too much to ask.

On the Focusrite website it does not mention what OS versions it's compatible with.
I did however see this post on the Amazon.com page for the unit:

After borrowing a friend's PreSonus Audiobox USB I noticed horrible popping and distorted signal. Updating the drivers seemed useless and after some research I found out that Pre Sonus doesn't even write exclusive drivers for their products they use pre-existing drivers that do NOT work well W7 64bit. So I switched to the Saffire PRO 14 after reading much about the preamps and overall performance praise. I was horrified when I couldn't even get a clear system sound out of the thing so I immediately exchanged for a new PRO14 thinking the problem was the box itself. When the new Saffire PRO 14 booted up with the same distortion I knew it was not the box. After much reading and research in the forums and messageboards I found that a very common problem with the Saffire PRO 14 PC users is the chipset of the firewire card. I purchased the Focusrite recommended SIIG FW card with a TI chipset and so far all problems have been solved. After more research I found that this problem is common with almost all FW audio interfaces for PC users. IN summary, check your FW card. It's probably the wrong chipset. Hope this helps someone.

So.... what firewire chipset are you using?
Like this guy, I'd suggest you get a TI-chipset card. Most audio interfaces are touchy about needing TI cards.

I said in my original post that I bought a firewire card with a TI chip set.
Nevermind! I got it working now:) I found a 2-year-old post on a different forum which gave me my answer. I knew that there was obviously a conflict in my system but I didn't know where. I just needed to disable the Realtek sound card driver and that fixed it. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Thank you for your suggestions anyway, though.

Back