problem with installing 2 soundcards on 1 computer

mhuang

anyone here have experience installing 2 soundcards on the same computer?

I've just got a mia card and have been trying to install it to my computer which already have a sblive card installed. I've gotten nothing but problem so far, so any help or tips you can give is greatly appreciated.

you have to be more specific of the problems first off?....

I have a Delat Audiophile and a SB type card both installed on mine....

Well I just got my M Audio Delta 66 Omni Studio today and it isn installed alongside my SB Live! Player card. Cant really say I have any problems.

Check for an IRQ conflict esp if you are using Win 2k because win 2k doesn't auto-allocate devices as much as Win 9x systems do. Win 9x systems do a lot of things for the user automatically to make very technical jobs simple for the home user.

re:

gidge,

when I first installed the mia card, I have my synth's output plug into mia's out port and I couldn't hear anything even though the meter is showing activity and all the channel are not mute but still I can't hear anything.

I then reinstall mia to another PIC slot and finally i was able to hear thru mia's out port, but then I couldn't control the input volume via the mia console.

even though sonar shows low latency using mia's driver, when using DXI and other software synth, there's still noticeable delay even though it shows a low latency of 8ms.

there's many many more problems, and i am getting frustrated, I've contacted echoaudio's support but haven't heard back from them yet.

Can you share with me how you hook up your system with sblive and your other soundcard?

ah. I had this today. turn off "software monitoring" in the soundcard setup of any music prgs you use. I had this today when I installed my new Delta Omni. I though hmm the latency is low but I can hear the delay (which was annoying coz I was trying to play my guitar). I turned off an option called software monitoring in Logic Audio Delta dn then the sound came through instantly again....

I can't help you with any software issues, but if you are having IRQ problems running any card alongside a SB Live, you should (1) uninstall both cards and all drivers for both cards, (2) install the Mia first in the PCI slot nearest the CPU then install the Mia drivers, (3) get this card working before installing the SB, (4) install the SB Live and its drivers. The SB is not as propriatary as most cards, so give the Mia first shot at the open IRQs.

Back