Problem with ASIO driver

Andrax

Hi, I have a Behringer XENYX302USB and it was working well until I read the manual which suggested that I download the ASIO driver. I downloaded it but now the recording volume is much, much lower than it was previously and I think my recordings sound worse than before. I tried removing the ASIO driver but when I do, the audio interface wont work, saying there is no driver for it. Where can I get a good driver for my audio interface or how can I switch back to the driver it used before I installed ASIO?

My laptop is a windows 7 and my mic is a Shure SM58.

I will speculate that you were using the Windows driver and maybe there was sort of gain increase through the driver (maybe the gain boast provided by the OS). What you have now is better control of your input. Try turning up your volume to the monitors, increase the gain on your mixer. But be careful, if you are getting a good signal, don't be too concerned how loud it is at the recording stage.

Do some research and make sure you understand how to record and mix. Volume (loudness) is usually the last stage and it is relative to the mix, not just being loud.

I did turn up the volume on my audio interface to get the similar recording volume I used to have but when I do, it's signifying that it's clipping on the interface and when I hook my earphones to it, it's really loud. And like I said the recordings sound worse than before. Yes it was probably the windows default driver that I was using, I want to go back to that but I don't know how to do it.

If it's clipping then turn down the gain. Does the Behringer ASIO driver come with a control panel? If so, check your levels there. Go into the Sound options in Win7 and see what your levels are set to there.

No panel. Levels are maxed. Can someone just tell me how to revert back to the default windows driver I was using before or where I can get another driver for my interface? I have tried google by i can't find anything.

Trust me, you do not want to do that. Meaning peak out your input gain or go back to the non 'ASIO' drivers.

You really need to just understand the correct levels you should be recording at.

It would really help if you mentioned what DAW you are actually recording with.

My DAW is Audacity, if I understand correctly.

The input on audacity is really, really low even if it's really loud on my interface, I'm pretty sure I'd have to go past the max gain levels on audacity to make it as loud as I want without making it clip on my interface.

Well I learned something tonight while researching this issue. Audacity doesn't natively support ASIO. It's a licensing thing, and being a freeware app, they simply can't pay Steinberg for the rights to support ASIO. There is a way to build a version of Audacity for yourself with ASIO support included, but it seems to be a giant pain in the ass.

But just because you downloaded the ASIO drivers for your XENYX doesn't mean that it's unusable. It's still just a device connected to your computer. In Audacity, in the options, try the different "host" types (MME, DirectSound, WSAPI).

In Windows, go to Start->Control Panel->Sound. Go to the Recording tab, find your XENYX there. Right-click on it, select Properties. Go to the Levels tab, and make sure that slider is turned up. Restart Audacity and see if that helps.

I might be tempted to download Reaper and try that. If it works that's confirm the Audacity/ASIO issue (which I hadn't hear of before but it makes sense). You might also decide that the extra features on Reaper make it worth keeping anyway--Audacity is free but becomes pretty limiting very quickly.

Tadpui is correct, Audacity doesn't support ASIO. Therefore, those drivers were never an issue, just a coincidence.

Hmmm...somebody once told me that the "ASIO" drivers for their entry level mixers are, in fact, Asio4All which is a wrapper that makes Windows MME drivers look like ASIO to a DAW. Lots of ifs, but, if that's the case, the Behringer "ASIO" drivers could, in fact, be messing up the Windows ones as far as Audacity is concerned.

I guess if the ASIO4ALL drivers change the Windows settings, then yes it would have an affect on the Windows settings. I haven't really messed with ASIO4All.

So is there no way to go back to the previous driver or is there any other driver i can get that will work? I've asking this once again again, noone's answered this so far.

We are saying, if you are using Audacity, you are using the OS drivers, not the ASIO drivers. Just check to make sure the Windows media settings haven't changed. The application has to support ASIO drivers in order to use them, Audacity does not.

No. That logic doesn't even make sense. Why would I be having this problem only after I installed ASIO. And if nothing changed and I were still using the same driver then why would I be having this problem now? No. Windows media settings were never changed and I checked, they are FINE. And it SAYS on my interface's properties window that the driver it is using IS the ASIO driver.

From the Audacity help files:

If you are reading this because recordings have always worked fine in the past but are now recording incorrectly, or because an input is missing or Audacity is no longer launching properly, an automatic update via Windows Update may just possibly have caused the problem. Windows Update is potentially less reliable about obtaining appropriate hardware updates than Windows Device Manager.
If you suspect a driver update problem, launch Device Manager from the Windows Control Panel. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers" by clicking on the arrow, then right-click over your sound device and choose Properties. Click on the "Driver" tab to check the driver provider, date and version. If an update has occurred at any time, the Roll Back Driver button will be active. You can click this button to revert the driver to its previous installation. You can also view a video of the rollback process on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
If rolling back does not help or makes matters worse, go back to the "Driver" tab and click "Update Driver". After the update, check the Driver Provider again. If the driver provider is now Microsoft you could see if your problem is resolved, but the general recommendation would be to visit the website of the computer or motherboard manufacturer and look for appropriate drivers specific to your computer model and version of Windows.
For future, consider verifying updates via Windows Update manually instead of allowing updates to proceed automatically.

I daresay you could also do a system restore back to a date before you downloaded the ASIO driver.

I would also refer you back to my earlier suggestion to download the trial version of Reaper which we know CAN use ASIO drivers properly. If nothing else this will give a comparison to see if things are working properly in a different DAW...and you might decide never to go back to Audacity which is pretty limiting in many ways.

Back