Probably a Stupid Question....

guitaristic

prophet of Dave
But I'm gonna ask it anyways :D

So right now I record on a pretty nice laptop. Not ideal, I know, but it gets the job done. I'm really just starting to get to that point in my audio journey where I am beginning to buy extra software such as Addictive Drums. I'm also looking at buying some Waves vst bundles and such!

HOWEVER! :p

In the long run, will this screw me over once my faithful old laptop slows down? Say I did buy a ton of vsts...is there any way to transfer them to a new computer once my old one is ka-put? Or would I be forced to buy everything over again?

That's not a stupid question.
THIS is a stupid question...
"Can I run Pro Tools on my Commodore 64?"
or this...
"Why can't I put the baby back?"
or...
"If I keep playing with it will it really fall off?"
:cool:

(sorry :o I got nothin)

:D

If you buy software you'll be able to move it to a new computer should you upgrade.

Waves, for example, use ilok authorisation so you could install the plugs on a million computers;
You'll only be able to use them on the computer with the ilok plugged in.

Addictive drums uses as authorisation number based on your computer's serial number or something like that.
You'd probably need to request a new one through XLN audio, but I can't see it being a problem.

What spec is your laptop? There may not be a problem.

If you buy software you'll be able to move it to a new computer should you upgrade.

Waves, for example, use ilok authorisation so you could install the plugs on a million computers;

Addictive drums uses as authorisation number based on your computer's serial number or something like that.
You'd probably need to request a new one through XLN audio, but I can't see it being a problem.

Thanks Paul! Well I have an HP dv6....64-bit Windows Vista (ewwwww lol). It's ok right now, but I'm thinking it'll eventually slow down since I use it for school stuff too, so I'm just trying to plan ahead :)

Waves doesn't use Ilok anymore I don't think. I'm so mad because I just bought an Ilok to buy some of their plug-ins, only to find out I no longer need it...

Just download everything off of The Pirate Bay and you'll have no worries!!!

Yikes!!!!!! Pthththth!!

so wait....does that mean I would be screwed?

No man, you can transfer your license to other computers. Waves has an update plan (WUP) that gives you upgrades for a year from purchase. You will always be able to use what you purchase, as well as free upgrades for a year. Then you pay a fee to continue the upgrade capability. If you choose not to, your purchased plugs still work.

G-man - I have addictive and have transferred it onto another PC, no probls. You just keep the install files somewhere and download a key/authorising doobie and you're good. The others will work the same way, most likely...

Most programs that require a registration allow you to "un-register" on one computer and it enables registration on a new computer, well if they use internet license validation anyway - programs like Photoshop.

Remember Guitaristic, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

There are stupid people with stupid questions, though sometimes stupid people give stupid answers. Then there are those people who say stupid stuff because they are too stoned to give stupid answers. They are the scary ones. 420! lol! :D

I haven't tried any demos recently. I don't even care to move to 64 bit anyway. The API collection and L2 is all I need. Every other I have tried seemed redundant to me. Never been a fan of buying plugs, just to have them around. Tools are great when they work for you. Money can't buy tone.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have a s**tload of software loaded up and if/when my laptop
bites the dust, it is going to be a major pain to transfer ProTools,
Arturia, Native Instruments, etc. to a new box!

No man, you can transfer your license to other computers. Waves has an update plan (WUP) that gives you upgrades for a year from purchase. You will always be able to use what you purchase, as well as free upgrades for a year. Then you pay a fee to continue the upgrade capability. If you choose not to, your purchased plugs still work.

G-man - I have addictive and have transferred it onto another PC, no probls. You just keep the install files somewhere and download a key/authorising doobie and you're good. The others will work the same way, most likely...

K thanks! :) Yaaay hope is kindled! (lol Lord of the Rings quote :D)

Thanks for the help everybody!

i have an old (5year old laptop) and it is definitely slowing down, playing in ableton with lots of midi layers scrambles the audio

Back