pro tools. worth it?

Aquanaut

hey, i have cakewalk pro audio 9. is it workth it to upgrade to pro tools software? i find cakewalk easy to use, but have heard many good thing about pro tools.

thanks....mike

This is my opinion on the matter...are you making a living off of you studio? if yes then protools is probably worth it to you. I've used it a couple of times when the salesmen were demoing it to me and it's awesome in my opinion! But in reality, if you have cubase it'd probably be fine for professional stuff (I believe someone told me no doubt used cubase on some of the songs on their new album...haven't confirmed that however! :-) For amatuer stuff just for you, some friends, or recording the church choir, cakewalk is just fine. To me at least, the biggest differences are associations...what people associate those names with. Cubase is a little more powerful in my opinion also, and protools...well they named it that for a reason.

I guess I can shorten this by saying this: Are you happy with what is coming out of your studio? If yes, then the upgrade is probably not worthwhile! If no, Protools, might be the idea...or maybe it's some of you other equipment you should look at. Got crappy mic preamps? maybe you should spend that money on preamps...

Just my thoughts. Take them for a grain of salt.

Derek

Ok there is the digi0crap and then there is protools that low end digidesign stuff is nowhere near real protools. So if you can afford the real deal then heck yeah its worth it many albums recorded on it. But I mean the REAL protools setup with hardware. And as far as cubase goes just trash that and get Logic its harder to learn cause its pro software but its well worth the learning curve. I would suggest Layla as well if you are looking for the recorder. Layla with Logic is a wicked combo.
http://www.mp3.com/codyyoung http://www.offtherow.com

I use two Adats and Logic and am very happy. The learning curve is no worse than
CubeASS. A real Pro Tools setup runs over $10,000 without computer or drives,
etc.
Rock-eth On-eth!

Shakes
I can only assume that you have done some audio tests
to verify that Layla is a better system then Digi001?

Have you checked the converters on both side to side?

Or perhaps that is what you work with so you plug it EVERY time somebody asks a question about sound cards and software?

Or maybe you work for Event? :)

To correct you. The Pro tools LE (your so called low end )
Is almost identical to the high end Pro tools.
So much so that the TDM users are pissed why they have to pay 10 times more.
The main difference is: the limit of tracks to 24 in LE
and the syncing ability. Other then that and a few minor things they share the same manual.

Am I to understand from your post
that Logic is a more "pro" software then Cubase?.
Or that since it's "Harder" to learn then it's more "pro"?!?. Pro Tools is as easy as it gets.

One of the major complaints of Logic users has been it's meesed up manual. I own two different versions of them
It seems that some one was transelating it from German to english.

In a shoot out done by Mitch Gallagher - technical editor
of Keyboard mag, Cubas came at the top of the list ( between 5 different programs) on 1.Working with audio loops 2. Audio waveform editing.
Came face to face with Logic on Midi data processing and creating/editing notation.
As the learning curve Mitch claims that Logic is the same as Cubase.

I dont use Cubase and did use for many years Logic and now ues Pro tools. I daily read the Logic mail list and have seen for 3 years many users of Logic complaining about it.
I once sugessted to a school to buy the AW2 with the Logic software that comes with it ( a scaled down version of Logic). They did only to find out that the software has a major bug in it - the bounce to disk doesnt work till today.

I would not be so haste to trash other users software.

Aquanaut - If you can buy the TDM system of PRo Tools then go for it. How ever you can't as of today buy Pro Tools LE with out using the 001 or the Audio Media III sound card.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 07-20-2000).]

understanding that Pro Tools is the leader of that pack, at what percentage would you compare Cooledit Pro to Protools??...like 85%...and never mind comparing the realtime effects and MIDI implimentation.

Back