pro tools, import mp3, quick time

number six

Hello,

I'm using pro tools 9, and can't import mp3 to a session, though .wav files come in fine.

It seems the problem is that I need "quick time," that is apple software. But quicktime seems not to be supported or available anymore for the computer I'm on.

Does this sound correct, has anyone found this same issue, and know of A way to work around it?

Ideally it would be some way to bypass the need for quick time itself, or reputable source for quick time even if it's no longer supported. Or, One way would be to convert .mp3 to .wav, but I'm not seeing this as an option on Windows7.

I seem to remember that with PT9 I had to purchase a licence to import or export MP3's as Protools had a dispute with the licence holder, this hasn't been an issue since 11, RFR's fix sounds good there are plenty of converters free to use.

I seem to remember that with PT9 I had to purchase a licence to import or export MP3's as Protools had a dispute with the licence holder, this hasn't been an issue since 11, RFR's fix sounds good there are plenty of converters free to use.

I'm not sure that's correct. If this was a licensing issue it would tell the user that there was no license,
but I'm fairly sure that requirement was only in earlier versions. 7.X...maybe 8.

Edit: Confirmed.

Apple has discontinued support for Quicktime for Windows. It seems they are unable or unwilling to fix the numerous security issues with it.

Quicktime is also depreciated on OSX. It is still present, but won't be in one of the future versions of OSX. It is replaced by AV foundation.

This is even more of a problem for people doing video editing on Windows, as there is no other ProRes codec available AFAIK.

Adobe drops QuickTime support, as visual artists look for a solution - CDM Create Digital Music

You can install Audacity for conversion. I believe it reads MP3 using the Windows libs and only requires installing the Lame codec for writing, but if it does need it the online instructions and links are included at the download site IIRC.

Hey, thanks for the inputs.

Steenamaroo, I am running OS Windows 7. GToboy, I'm thinking same thing, though I"m pretty cautious about downloading things (hence not going for some of the sites that offer quicktime who are not "oem" as they look a bit janky). Cyrano, that is my understanding as well after lookinga the apple site and some tech journalism on the subject, thanks for the referernce.

keith.rogers, that's a good idea, as I have audacity alerady for digitizing vinyl and I think this will work.

Since you are on W7 you can download the free Samplitude Pro X Silver which has an excellent and comprehensive formats converter in it.

In fact! Download the trial of Pro X 3 and if you like it (why would one not?) buy the bargain package which I think is still available?

Dave.

It looks like apple have the download available right on their site.

Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows

Morning S, on one of my PCs I get a request to update Quick Time (W7) I don't know what for or if I need QT in Windows and would like to be completely "Apple Free". Can I just uninstall the existing version of QT with impunity? Don't use iTunes.

I have asked this before, maybe here on HR and iirc never got a conclusive answer? Maybe like so much computer ***t..."It DEPENDS!"?

Dave.

You can uninstall it and find out. ;)

I think there are codecs in there that are needed for streaming online media, but i'm not certain.

Steenamaroo, thanks for checking on this; I had seen this and looked into it and likely restrictions on my machine made it problematic. In the meantime I was able to get audacity to work for import mp3, export wav, then get to pro tools, so at least that is a work around.

You can uninstall it and find out. ;)

But maybe not with impunity? Some years ago my son installed iT on my PC and I was not'appy and uninstalled it. I then found the optical drive would not work! A lot of Googling later I found out that the only solution seemed to be to RE-install I-bloody-Tunes but stop it from starting in config.

So, atmo', 'If it ain't broke'...but I would love to get rid.

Dave.

Some quicktime component or toolkit (or whatever it is) also used to be bundled with the iTunes installer but, I believe, no longer is.
If something on your machine ceased to work with iTunes removed I suppose you'd need to find out if it did, or should, should work without it before deciding who to be annoyed at. ;)

As I recall, plain windows couldn't play a DVD natively until relatively recently.

As always, if I can help I'll be glad to.

Some quicktime component or toolkit (or whatever it is) also used to be bundled with the iTunes installer but, I believe, no longer is.
If something on your machine ceased to work with iTunes removed I suppose you'd need to find out if it did, or should, should work without it before deciding who to be annoyed at. ;)

As I recall, plain windows couldn't play a DVD natively until relatively recently.

As always, if I can help I'll be glad to.

Oh! I am ok now. I think the problem might have been way back with XP? In any case it was not that I could no longer play DVDs, the whole optical drive became inaccessible "drive 'e' is not found" sort of thing. But the experience has left me suspicious of just removing "i ***t" so I just refuse updates and leave it be.

Dave.

Just had a quick google - Seems disappearing CD/DVD drives was a common enough registry related issue when installing/uninstalling certain software. One example is iTunes.
The fun never stops. ;)

The only reason to have QuickTime on a Windows machine, is if you edit video. You'll need the ProRes codec and MS doesn't do that one. Or, of course, if you use iTunes or Safari. QT comes with a different MP3 codec and iTunes needs that. It won't work with the mp3 codec from ffmpeg, lame, or VLC.

If you don't need any of those, get rid of QT for Windows. It contains several big holes and Apple won't be fixing those. The still distribute MS dll's from the stone age, despite updated ones being available since the iron age...

The one thing you should install, is VLC player. It's included codecs van be used by a lot of stuff, like Audacity, OBS...

Back