Pro Tools + hardware issue.

NLAlston

A friend of mine has Pro Tools, along with the Digi-01 hardware component. He recently attempted to use version 7, of Pro Tools - which did install, but would not recognize his Digi 01. Version 6.7 wouldn't see it either, and the only versions that would work see his hardware were those beneath 6.7. As I, myself, am very interested in the new M-Box, my friend and I made a trip to Guitar Center to check that unit out. While there, my friend questioned the salesperson about his dilema, and that individual informed him that - in order to use any upgraded versions, over and above what he is presently working with - he would have to buy the Digi 02. This just doesn't seem right, and has really clouded over my decision to purchase the M-Box. Because the M-Box (recent one) is new, there would be no problem using version 7 (8, or 9 when it comes out) with it - at least this is what that salesman informed. But there could come a time (if the above problem rests in truth) that I would be sitting in the very same boat with the M-Box, and software that did not recognize it. I am not one (nor is my friend) who has to have the newest of anything - in order to be happy. When we find something that works for us, we stick with it - until such time as we tire of it, or grow out of it. All software versions of a proprietary program should make a happy marriage between it and that manufacturer's hardware mate.

Please let me know about any thoughts on this, as that salesman may have been in error from whence he spoke.

The 001 was discontinued over a year ago and hasn't been included in any software updates since v6.4 or so.

You have a very legitimate concern there. Of course, you never HAVE to upgrade your software... in theory the same hardware, software, and computer should work just fine until the hardware or the computer breaks. There are still a fair number of studios that run PT 5 on Mac OS 9. If you don't *need* the newest thing, then just get the latest version of PT that works with the 001 and stick with it till something breaks.

I'm wondering if Digi saw the new bus technologies coming from Apple and just said "screw it" with the PCI based 001 (and MIX systems, btw). If that's the case, the USB and firewire interfaces are less likely to suffer the same fate. In theory, at any rate.

Even though the new M-box uses v7 and the 001 uses 6.4(?) the sessions should be compatible.

Take care,
Chris

Yeah 001 was dropped at during the 6.4-6.7 update. I'm quite sure the mBox will be supported for quite some time, but Chris has the point that if you are "if it ain't broke.." type of guy, you shouldn't need to upgrade software either. Plus, upgrades aren't free past the first couple (if you're lucky). Based on when I bought my 002R, I just missed a free 6.7 and 6.9 upgrade by a few days, but after bitching to Digidesign they gave it to me. Unfortunately v7 will cost me $99. Technological advances are awesome, but sometimes it does suck to get left behind. But, you wouldn't expect Apple to support their first computers with OSX would you?

BTW, Where did he get V7? I didn't they were shipping that yet. :eek: :eek:

EDIT: By the "new one" of mBox did you mean the Mbox2? I would definitely get that one and not the old version, which is very limited.

reshp1 said:
BTW, Where did he get V7? I didn't they were shipping that yet. :eek: :eek:

EDIT: By the "new one" of mBox did you mean the Mbox2? I would definitely get that one and not the old version, which is very limited.

Reshp1,

Thanks, also, to you - and I have to apologize for a little bit of misinformation that I gave in my previous post. It was v6.6 & 6.7 that would not see his Digi-001. I guess that I confused the GC salesman's information - regarding his being out of luck with v7, and every subsequent upgrade also - into the mix. It, initially, made me a little wary of buying the M-Box2 (because of fearing that his problem might also become mine - a few years down the line) but all I am looking for is a means by which to get my vocals into the computer - without the hassle of what I now have to go through to do the same with my AW16G. If the M-Box2 (or the Lexicon equivalent, which is $150 cheaper) can perform that job - in grand fashion for me - then I wouldn't care at what software version the integration would stop.

giraffe said:
i use protools, and like it very much but.

digidesign=dicks

Their program is great, their customer support is pretty good, tech support is okay, but their upgrade policies eat a dick for sure.

Digidesign is a hardware company, that makes software to run on its hardware. They will phase out older models since they will be unable to support the new versions of software.

The M-Box 2 came out not too long ago, and that should be just fine for a good few years at least. The M-Box is a popular interface, and I doubt they would can it anytime soon.

Back