Pro Tools for everyone

good thing the days are finally moving. It was stuck on on eight days for about five days and that just made me mad.
Don't they know that I want free power? Anyhow, I think it will be cool when people ask me and I say:" Oh, I use pro tools", like the dude who was using Logic VS that came with his vs1680 and said he was using the "industry standard software right along side protools" .

Good thing I only ever use two inputs on my delta Anyway, and I've never used up to eight tracks in a composition.

So everybody, "oh, I use pro tools" ;in five days anyway. Unless they stop counting down again.

[Edited by CyanJaguar on 10-05-2000 at 12:21]

I think it will be cool when people ask me and I
say:" Oh, I use pro tools"

And then they'll ask: "Pro Tools Lite, or the real thing?" :D

good question

Well....
in california, where everyother person probably has a home studio, they might ask , but in Arkadelphia I doubt they will.

Anyhow, why exactly are they giving it away free?

Are they wanting to use us a beta testers, knowing that if our systems crash, we can't do a freakish Kapeash,
or,
Are they giving it free hoping that we will want more and order the digi001 or their plugins?

Hey, do you use protools lite or the real thing? "Dude, that is a good question, but I think it must be the real thing cos that stuff is so powerful", or something like that.

LOL why people still think ProTools is the shi& still amazes me, when there are so many other programs out there that smoke it. And trust me folks the biggest studios are not all using it either, OceanWay, Soundkitchen, and alot of the other big boys all use Tape and 1,000,000 dollar stuff anyway. And now PARIS is making its way into many big studios and has already been used to make a couple plat and gold albums as well as number ones. Protools is on its way out of the top spot, but not out. I am not saying Protools sucks just that it is not the holy grail of HD recording.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

Pro Tools Forum??

So when the Pro Tools "lite" for free comes out will a forum be started on this BBS? Guess we'll have to wait and see if it catches on enough to be worthy of an official forum.

Just watched the Digi001 video. Sync was all screwed up on the first one so I ordered another one. This one starts making those wierd sounds, like trying to play something on Windows Media Player on a slow computer, about half way through. I hope the Digi001 interface and lite software is better than the video. Oh yeah, that's right. My VCR isn't a MAC. Anyhow, I really liked the capabilities of the lite version on the Digi001 video. I'm assuming that's what you'll probably get with the freebie download.

I don't think so

DigitalDon

I think it's only 8 tracks of audio. Most probably there will be more limitaions. But for those of us that use it, It will be great to edit on laptops.

Shailat: My thoughts exactly. I guess they hope the free lite version will get enough people hooked to sell a substantial amount of plug-ins. The big boys are already hooked so they are expanding into another market. I'm looking forward to it. That is, if they offer it in the Windows platform.

Shakes,

I do not know where you get your information. Maybe in Nashville everyone is still exclusively using 2" but in LA it is next to impossible to find a major studio that doesn't have protools. You can't open a MIX magazine and look in the sessions section and not read about ProTools being used. In fact, just last week NARAS set up camp at Capitol Records (studios A & B) in Hollywood where they had 5 ProTools set-up available for evaluation to the membership of NARAS. Some of the presentors were Joe Chiccarelli (Tori Amos & Counting Crows) Al Schmitt (10 Grammy Awards- Franks Sinatra, Lou Rawls, Diana Krawl ect . . ) John Potoker (No Doubt, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers) KC Porter (Ricky Martin, Santana, Toni Braxton) all of them use protools on every single session. Protools is such a powerfull production tool that Leslie Ann Jones - Director of Music Recording and Scoring at Skywalker Sound & the National Chairwoman of Naras asked how many people use Protools while in the studio. Over 300 of Los Angeles' finest engineers and producers raised thier hands.

Protools is most asuredly on top, with competition in sight.

As for the free version, you have 8 voices but many more tracks. And you will not be used as a Beta Tester, Protools 5.0.1 has been in wide release for about 5 months. This is simply a marketing plan. I had a free version of PT 3.4. I bought it and used the Mac's internal audio. Made a few bucks with that then bought the Audiomedia III card. I made about 10K in three months with the free very limited software. I then dropped 14K on a mix plus with an 888/24 and an ADAT bridge. With that I've had several 10K months. With anything it takes money to make money - and that is why Digidesign is "giving away" the software. Prime the pump. They get us hooked and then we buy. I bet many, many will buy.

Jamiecer, thankyou for the information. but I just have one thing to bring up.

I was reading the digidesign forums, and I came across a thread that seemed to say that protools was practically crap at doing a production that had many tracks(20-30 tracks) because at that number of tracks, the 24 bit path became a limitation and the production started to sound thin.

Even though the digidesign pr engineer tried to ease everybody's concern by saying that since pro tools has a 48 bit internal path, it would not matter, but many of the big boys(they use the "real thing" and certainly sounded like they knew what they were talking about) had that very same concern.

I know that pro tools is the beast, but, what can it do that other software can't do. I read an interview of a pro tools user who says he uses logic platinum as his front end cos logic can do EVERYTHING that pro tools can do.

I just thought that I would point these out to balance the thesis-antithesis

interesting!

CyanJaguar,

I've never heard of this. I'd be very interested in reading more about this. Was this at the DUC or somewhere else. Could you please send me a link or a page.

Thanks,
j

as I feared

the link di not work. I could not find another link, but the title is still pro tools sound quality??? under pro tools tips and techniques.

here is an excerpt:

Just a half a thought...

People, let's not forget that Pro Tools can do 4 things. Recording, editing, mixing, mastering. Doesn't mean you
have to.

Is it the best recorder out there?
No. If you want to use it for recording go ahead. Just make sure you have all the extras. Awesome mics, mic
pre's, compressors, eq's etc.

Is it the best editing software out there?
There are others but it's up there.

Is it the best for mixing?
From this thread you can tell that it's not.

Is it the best for mastering?
No. But many have used it for that purpose with great results.

Whether you use Pro Tools for preproduction or as an editor or for your two track master let's not forget that it is
not the best thing out there nor does Digi claim it to be. If you've heard a better mixer. Kudos!!!
Go use it. Doesn't mean you can't use your system for something else. Remember it can do 4 things. Sure I'd
like it to sound better. I'd also like it to wash my car walk my dog and pay my bills. Let's be reasonable.
For under $30,000 you can get alot done on your Pro Tools system. But let's not forget those high quality
beatles recordings. Those were oh so much better than what people are producing today using Pro Tools. Let's
face it guys. We can talk technical till were all blue in the face. If the performance wasn't there to begin with, it
didn't matter what equipment we're using. Try telling Ricky Martin or Nine Inch Nails (both ends of the music
spectrum) not to use Pro Tools because it sounds thin. They'll laugh. They're making millions. If you think Pro
Tools sounds like crap then that's some of the best sounding crap that I've heard in along time. Except for Ricky
Martin. I'm not really into that.

"but, what can it do that other software can't
do?"

Well, exactly, Cyan. One of the reasons I started this thread was to see if any light was shed on this question. Just cuz it's popular doesn't mean it's better necessarily. And if it's better, by how much? I'm assuming that, being pro gear, it's past the point of diminishing returns for the average home recordist.

CyanJaguar,

No the link did not work, but I found it anyway. What I was able to get out of it was the problem with "bouncing to disk."

Give me some time to read all of it and I'll tell you what I got out of it.
j

You guys can also read on the DUC (digidesign user conference) about some pro tools owners prefering to use logic as the front end of their pro tools system cos it does not have that punch that pro tools software has and it also sounds better. logic is like what? ten thousand dollars cheaper?

I looooove ricky martin's livin' lavida loca and I totally agree that it's the performance that matters. Wait... that seems like good news to me as a soundcard owner with my $3,000 studio

I think right now one of the best DAW's is the Ensoniq PARIS system. It is quickly becoming the choice for the pro's as Protools loses market share and goes for the homerecording market. PARIS not only sounds better, is easier to use, but it is also less costly. No ripping you off with bullshi&* plugins that cost an arm and a leg. If anyone thinks different, well take off the blindfold. The largest DAW on the face of this earth GBT studios co/owned by Mark Miller from Sawyer Brown, is running a PARIS system, not PT. Do a search for GBT studios its amazing, oh speaking of Amazed,(#1 for Lonestar) it was done with PARIS. Look for prices of PT to drop greatly over the next year and look for PARIS coming up strong.

http://www.emuparis.com

Had to change the addy ;-)

Shakes,

P.S. CJ Logic does kick some major a$$ but if anyone has the cash PARIS seems the way to go..

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today.

Oh one more thing if you search around you can get the PARIS III pack which includes the control 16 board for like 2,500 brand new. Thats the whole system! The prices on the site are MSRP and are way high... and read the part about the effects, there was a demo done at the NAMM show where they put 50+ RCL compressors on at once and it didnt even faulter, all the strain is on the PARIS not your computer.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

Back