Pro Tools ERROR Help!!!!

fishkarma

Hello!
i have a LaCie d2 hard disk extreame on which i save my pro tools sessions but just tried to start up a session that has been working on this disk for a while and got this error message:

"This session is saved on a volume set to "transfer" only
if permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "P" (playback) or"R"(record) in the workspace

Otherwise, choose OK to ave a copy of this session and its media to a valid playback volume The session copy will automatically open fron the chosen location"

it then proceeds to pop up with an alternitave save location such as a save as window when you create a new session!
so i tried to save to the LaCie disk and got this message:

"LaCie" is not an audio playback volume

so i decided to try my internal drive which it worked fine on, but i dont want to recod to the internal disk as its not recommended what should i do??

also any other PT sessions on the disk wont work!!!

if computer/equipment info is needed:

macbook pro 3gb ram 2.33ghz core 2 duo
002 desk
Lacie hard disk extreame 320Gb <10ms seek time 8 Mb cache

Cheers for the help in advance!!!

I'm taking it that your LaCie is an External HD? If so, make sure that the HD is powered on and recognized by your computer BEFORE you boot up Pro Tools. Once it's on, and recognized, boot up PT. Now, go to Window > Workspace. In the Workspace window you will see the hard drives that are on your computer, the LaCie should be recognized.

There are 2 things you need to look at. Under "A" it should be set to R (record), and under "V" it should be set to R. If they are set to P (playback) or T (transfer), click the letter and change it to Record (R).

I had this same problem, and this was the solution. If this doesn't help, I suggest going to the Digidesign User Conference board on Digidesign.com.

Hope it helps, peace!

were you previously using this on a PC? And how have you formatted your HDs? (select HD on desktop, press apple+I) If its FAT32 a Mac won't recognise it as a play/record drive..

make sure the Lacie drive has an Oxford 990 chipset otherwise its a no go with the digi 002.

i went thru hell to learn that..

inmyheartX: You are a godsend!!!! thanks a lot dunno how this happened but alls well again
protools recognised my drive so THANKs
outta curiosity how did it change itself?? i didnt do anything why would it randomly change???
if i get no answer its not the end of the world but im curious as to what caused this problem!!

Good luck
-Josh

good for you, you got off lucky :)

i bought 3 hard drives before i found one that worked lol..

have fun.

fishkarma said:
inmyheartX: You are a godsend!!!! thanks a lot dunno how this happened but alls well again
protools recognised my drive so THANKs
outta curiosity how did it change itself?? i didnt do anything why would it randomly change???
if i get no answer its not the end of the world but im curious as to what caused this problem!!

Good luck
-Josh

I'm sure there are more than one cause but what happened to me was the booting up of the External HD after Pro Tools was started. It changes it to Transfer only if you do that (well for me at least).

Glad it worked man. =] Peace!

yes, workspace browser is the correct place to change this.
I think it does have to do sometimes with the way you turn the drive on and how your OS/PT recognizes it. But switching it to R in the workspace browser will fix it back every time.

yeah cheers all there was another guy in another forum with same problem so was happy to pass the word along!!!

cheers again

is using an internal hd that came with my mac impossible?

new imac 2.16ghz core 2 duo
1gb ram
mac osx tiger

i partitioned a seperate section of the hard drive just for the recording files and insured they were formatted properly.

updated to 6.9.2 to be compatible to osx tiger

reinstalled/reformatted protools/osx atleast 4 times each and still no luck.

i cant get my workspace to change the T to an R still.

any advice?

is using an internal hd that came with my mac impossible?

new imac 2.16ghz core 2 duo
1gb ram
mac osx tiger

i partitioned a seperate section of the hard drive just for the recording files and insured they were formatted properly.

updated to 6.9.2 to be compatible to osx tiger

reinstalled/reformatted protools/osx atleast 4 times each and still no luck.

i cant get my workspace to change the T to an R still.

any advice?

first, you can start a new thread on this topic instead of using one from several months ago ;)

On the Desktop in the Finder, highlight the drive in question. In the Info window, go to "Ownership and Permissions." Make sure that "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" is not checked.

Or this:
http://protoolsforum.com/DigiPrefs.html

If that doesn't work, try repairing disk permissions:
Run the Disk Utility located at Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Click on the 'First Aid' tab, then select your main drive (with your OSX installation) in the left window and click on 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Restart your computer
It's suggested to possibly try uninstalling Pro Tools before repairing your disk permissions, but you might not need to.

Start there.

Back