Pro Tools.. disk allocation

T-Bird

I'm running my guitar through the Yamaha DG Stomp into my B&W G3 Mac into Pro Tools Free. When I go to record I get the warning that the available disk space may be fragmented. How much space needs to be available to record some guitar tracks? I've got about 2 gigs free at this point.

I'm going to run Norton and optimize the hard disk. Hopefully this is all I need at this point. I know eventually I'll need to add a second hard disk just for recording tracks.

If you've run into this problem, please let me know.
Thanks
Jim

I found a way to remedy this on a friends computer. If you know how long you're going to record (we'll just say 5 minutes), highlight your track with the selector up to the 5 minute mark and press record. Hopefully that will work for you.

MMy first mp3 (link)

I ran Norton on my G3 last night and optimized this hard disk. It was very fragmented, to the point that of the 2 GIG available, the largest single block was only about 100 MB. After optimizing, the entire 2 GIG was one continuous empty space on the disk.

I was able to go straight into the G3 from my DG Stomp preamp with a 1/4" to 1/8" converter. I had to turn up the preamp's output much higher than if I was just listening through the headphones. THe computer was then able to hear the signal. I recorded two tracks, bounced it and saved it as an MP3.

I've posted it on my home page server space. The tracks weren't tweaked in any way. I haven't learned anything more than "record" and "bounce" so far in Pro Tools (I've never recorded anything before, to tape or digital, so it's all new to me).

Back