Pro Tools Alternative?

ellrond

Hi, I have searched for this topic here on the forum, but could not find anything that was too relevant.

I am currently setting about building a computer recording studio at home. I have a MacBook Pro on order (I realise that software will not run at full speed through Rosetta as yet, but I am willing to put up with that).

I am saving up for a Novation 25SL controller keyboard (to be used with Soft Synths such as the Arturia MiniMoog V which is lovely) and an SE 2200A microphone for vocals.

However, my problem is what software to go for as this will affect which interface I should buy. I am of the understanding that for Pro Tools, I would have to buy either Digidesigns own hardware, or certain M-Audio interfaces. Is this correct?

What I like about Pro Tools is how it is non-destructive. I have seen it used with a guitar amp modelling plugin (Amplitube) which can be modified even after the take has been recorded. All other amp modellers that I have seen in use at Sound Control require you to run the guitar through the modelling software (i.e. Line 6 TonePort UX2) before it is recorded.

This would be useless for me though, as I cannot play guitar, and recording another take by either myself or by a friend would be overkill as far as seeing if another amp model would sound better in a mix is concerned.

I suppose the question is this:

Should I go for Pro Tools and lock myself into buying either the Digidesign or M-Audio hardware or should I buy some other software, that has amp modelling plugins available and is non-destructive, and then get my own firewire interface? If so, what software would you recommend?

If anybody has any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing that is currently holding me up on pricing up all this kit and working out a way that I will be able to buy it. Thankyou for your help. If there are any errors or areas that need clarifying or anything, just mention it. This really will form the basis of my decision.

Thank you for taking the time to read,
Richard J Ellis

Edit No 1: The plugin for Pro Tools is called Amplitube
Edit No 2: I have researched Amplitube and realised that it is, in fact, a VST plugin. Duh!

Last edited:
Most multitrack programs out there are non-destructive. There are TONS of different program you can use, do a search on this board for "software"...especially in the newbie section. I'm positive you'll come across a lot.
Or go to a site like zzounds.com, sweetwater.com, musiciansfriend.com, etc. and look under software.

I recommend find a software that you are comfortable in using and then buy the hardware after. Mostly because if you're not comfortable working with what you have, no hardware in the world is going to make you a better engineer. Also, the Digi hardware can be bought and used with other programs if you'd like....it's just Digi includes software with the purchase.

BTW, Amplitube is not just a VST plugin. It's available in HTDM, RTAS, VST, DX and AudioUnit.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise that the Digidesign hardware was usable without Pro Tools. I'm going to try Cubase now, and then find an interface that has all the inputs I need.

Thanks again!

Well Amplitube has nothing to do with Protools other than a lite version happens to be packaged with PTLE. You can get a version for just about any other recording program out there.
You can also use hardware amp sims non destructively by recording the dry guitar track as you do with amplitube. Then, route the recorded track to an output and patch it into the amp sim. Then record the output onto another track. It's a little more complicated, but works well.

It really all depends on what kind of car you want to drive man. They will all get you from point a to point b, its just a matter of which one you like to drive.

If you go the M-Audio route, you have more options in my opinion, being that you can use anything; Protools, Audacity, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, whatever you decide. You can't beat the preamps and features on the M-Audio stuff for the price.

Just my opinion.

mattimus said:
i may have a solution for you

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO-main.html

it works with cubase, sonar and *drum roll* pro tools 7

Thats a little too expensive for me!

I'm looking at the Digidesign M-Box 2 now... Does anybody have one of these? I just want to clarify one thing, and that is if it has Hi-Z inputs for recording guitars? I know the original M-Box did, but it is not something that I have seen mentioned for the new one.

Richard

ellrond said:
I'm looking at the Digidesign M-Box 2 now... Does anybody have one of these? I just want to clarify one thing, and that is if it has Hi-Z inputs for recording guitars?

Yes it does. The DI input impedence is >1Megohm
digidesign specs said:
put Impedance (pad off): Mic=3.5 kOhm; Line=10 kOhm; DI= >1 MOhm.

I didn't realise that the Digidesign hardware was usable without Pro Tools.

AFAIK, thats not true. There are drivers for their older hardware but anything new is PT only

altitude909 said:
AFAIK, thats not true. There are drivers for their older hardware but anything new is PT only

incorrect
http://www.digidesign.com/download/

about half the way down, links for:
Digidesign Drivers for Third-Party Applications

Digidesign Hardware Drivers for Windows XP, for use with Pro Tools software or as standalone drivers:

Digidesign Audio Drivers for Windows XP v7.0
-Combined standalone installer of Digidesign ASIO Driver and Digidesign WaveDriver for Digidesign hardware without Pro Tools software installed
Digidesign ASIO Driver 6.1.1
Digidesign WaveDriver 6.1.1

Well well, I stand corrected. this is a new thing? Im curious how good the drivers are, my brother used the old ASIO driver for the digi001 and it was garbage

altitude909 said:
Well well, I stand corrected. this is a new thing? Im curious how good the drivers are, my brother used the old ASIO driver for the digi001 and it was garbage
Been like that ever since I started using PT around 2003. I've never tried different programs, but I know many that have with no issues.

altitude909 said:

that's probably because the 001 was the first unit to have the ASIO back in '99.
They've always worked fine for me...even on my system that's older than the 001!

Well its good they are being competetive. I guess it has been a few years since I paid attention to any new Digi stuff, hell the last time I actually worked on PT was when the mix box was new..

student discount on logic is $500 - you cant beat that. I hear it runs well on the macbook pro.

You might want to know that no version of Pro Tools works with the Intel macs at the moment.

Projected release date for MacIntel versions is May sometime. I'll believe it when I see it...

-Chris

epic said:
student discount on logic is $500 - you cant beat that. I hear it runs well on the macbook pro.

Digital Performer competitive upgrade price is $400 and you can upgrade from... a pretty wide range of software.... I "upgraded" from a copy of Master Tracks Pro, I believe. MT Pro used to work quite well on my Mac back in Mac OS 8.6....

Oh, and the academic price is $339 from C&M if you're a student. MOTU's standard policy, last I asked, is that if you buy the product after the new version is released, you'll get a free upgrade, and 5.0 appears to be out and, while it is not native on the MacBook Pro, an Intel version of DP5 is promised for later this quarter. You'd want to verify all that with MOTU before buying the 4.5 version at C&M, though.

You mention you're on a Mac.

I saw Logic being used at a show recently, and I was blown away, and I'm a Cubase SX3 user... I think Logic's native, so should work with whatever soundcard you have (check this out though!).

Seriously, Logic looks awesome. The bundled fx seem way superior to Cubase's. :( If I was doing music on a Mac I'd probably go Logic. Alternatively there's Pro Tools...

I think Logic's native, so should work with whatever soundcard you have (check this out though!).

The software is but drivers will have to be available for whatever hardware you are using if running on mactel

Back