Presonus Studio Pro DAW...but adequate PC power? I'm lost here.

Redtortoise39

Disclaimer: Absolute Newbie here but not naive (I just sound that way) haha. Anyway, I am finally stepping into the world of computer based recording. I'm absolute positive on the Presonus Studio Pro software, but the right computer....(?) clueless here friends. I am definitely going to be a Windows based user (preferably Windows 7), but the whole choice of computers has got me lost. I'm definitely not rich, but I want to buy something powerful and adequate the FIRST time around. My question is this...what is adequate? I'm not opposed to getting in to the building side of things, or purchasing something already built...but what are the absolute necessities for me to have in a machine. I've read tons of articles, watched many of video's, but too much knowledge is never enough. I just want to make wise/well informed decisions from the get go. Trying to establish some solid ground work here. Thanks in advance.

List an actual budget point. I can show you the plans I have to build a totally silent, fanless recording computer @ about $2700 + monitors, or a $250 laptop that CAN record and comes with Win7.

Getting an actual copy of Win7 now is difficult. Look into that before you decide to do a build. It's not like XP where real copies existed forever and you could register with MS. Everything now is "OEM" although I did see a "Genuine Product Key" version that listed as "not currently available."...

I did see a full version of Vista, by the way. I was wondering who would possibly want to buy it. :laughings:

For anything like this, the DAW manual or box should state what the minimum required specs are. That's where to start. Though you can usually go under this a little, from my experience. Anyhow, I run Studio One Pro with the PreSonus Audiobox through an HP laptop from Microcenter that was about $550. I think its 8GB. I can't recall the rest of the specs, sorry. The only issues I have are the ones nearly everyone else has....too many amp sims, reverbs, virtual synths etc...all going at the same time will cause processing disruption and you'll hear clicks and pops. But, that's not until I'm running around 40+ tracks with 4 verb sends and 6 amp sims.

Go by the manufacturers min specs

I've learned to do my amp sims outside of Reason. Seems to be THE major drag. I've got a fair system with 12GB memory, 8 core AMD 3.0 MHz processor, dual SSDs, etc. I don't often get slows or glitches, but when I do, it's usually in a song with amp sims. So now I use Amplitube outside Reason by sending it's output to 3/4 on the interface and then looping 3/4 into 13/14 in on the back of the 1800. Then I can record the tracks direct and not have the amp sim running in Reason...Kind of like miking a cab, but the sim version. You have to know it's the right tone when you record, or you'll be retracking. :)

.. So now I use Amplitube outside Reason by sending it's output to 3/4 on the interface and then looping 3/4 into 13/14 in on the back of the 1800. Then I can record the tracks direct and not have the amp sim running in Reason...Kind of like miking a cab, but the sim version. You have to know it's the right tone when you record, or you'll be retracking. :)

can you PM me with how I can do that w my 2 input AudioBox? I just bought Amplitube 4 the other day. Liking it a lot so far, even more so than the Lepou and Recab setup I was previously using. It's not too resource heavy, but I'm getting there right now with 4 guitar tracks and a bass track all running separate instances of AMP4

Back