Presonus Studio One 2 users...

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Hi...I need a bit of help in setting up the following:

Studio One 2
Fireface UC
Samson S-com 4 compressor

I want to record acoustic guitar with a single microphone, compressing it on the way in.

I need help in every department...where to plug cables...how to configure the i/o setup in Studio One and how to use Total Mix. (Total Mix is routing software that comes with the Fireface UC)

If you think you can help let me know

thanks

I would ask why you would want to compress on the way in. If it's not live audio, it has been my experience that you want the signal as nice and pure as possible. Once you have a great piece of audio you can do anything to it.. If you record it already compressed you are stuck with the compression, you can't undo it. If you do it in the box, I can compress it, hate it, undo, redo, decide I like it, and then remove it again 4 days later.

^^^^ Me too! Whether Analog or Digital, I try to record with no processing what so ever. It can always be added later. But if you go in with it, information is lost forever.

I can do basic stuff in Total Mix but I'm not going to write you a treatise. RTM and if you can't work it out, ask a question...

Biggest thing for me is the balance between recording track (first array) and backing (second array).. I don't really use much of its functionality, alas.

And what the others said about recording acoustic guitar. Don't compress on the way in.

Back