presonus audiobox usb or m-audio fasttrack pro

willydoit

Hi all,
I am looking to start using my pc to record guitar instrumentals. I will only be inputting 1 track at a time and would prefer to use Direct Input. I have a zoom 508 delay which I want to use inline. After spending the day researching options I had decided upon the m-audio fasttrack pro but a presonus audiobaox usb has been suggested so has the Mackie onyx blackjack. Prices are similar so wondered if there was any preference between the three from users with experience before I make a decision and purchase. Presonus say their box beats any other usb interface hands down but they are a bit biased, mackie states zero latency monitoring and 60db preamp so independant advice would be appreciated.

The issue which caused me to give up trying to record on pc many years ago was the dreaded latency lag which I found impossible to deal with so latency free usage is a major consideration in this purchase.

During my research on these items a lot of people seem to be reporting issues when using win 7 64bit particularly with drivers, as I will likely be using win 7 64bit this is also a consideration so any feedback on current compatibility between these devices aand win 7 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Presonus Audiobox hands down. Here's my reasoning.

The Audiobox has a higher rating on several creditable sites, it is incased in a sturdy metal chassis and looks like a solid interface. Presonus also has a good history of making professional hardware.

I have an M-Audio fast track ultra, it's a flimsy plastic interface, the rubber on my volume nobs has come off, volume nobs pop off. Monitoring is crappy with a low buzzing noise in the background. Preamps are pretty bad. Drivers have had a bad history of blue screening my computer.

I have no experience with the Mackie interface, Mackie has had a good history in the past but recently not so much (don't quote me on this however).

Didn't have too much time to type this! Hope this helps! :)

Back