PreSonus AudioBox suddenly not working....

andrushkiwt

First, I just created a ticket request at PreSonus's support page. Seeing as it's the holidays, I am not expecting a fast response from them. So...I'll try my knowledgeable friends at HR!

My AudioBox USB was working fine since, well, forever. I changed the buffer size earlier today in the AudioBox popup, outside my DAW (Studio One 2) from 512 to 256 and then back to 512 when the 256 had too many crackles and pops. After changing it back to 512, the AudioBox failed to output any sound from any program, even though it was listed as "working properly" and set as the "playback device" according to Windows.

I uninstalled the AudioBox and reinstalled it, several times today, with the same result. It works at first (a new install defaults the buffer size to 256) but then stops outputting sound when switched to 512. In the past, I have been able to switch buffer sizes and instantly see/hear the results.

I am wondering if it is the new drivers being downloaded? During each install I mentioned above, I am getting an error on the first install attempt, and simply clicking "install driver" a second time seems to work. But the first time, there's an error along the lines of "failed to download driver, it's possible another x is attempting to download the driver, please try again". Trying again works. Until I switch the buffer.

Any ideas? I have 6 of 7 days off from work starting yesterday, and there's a lot of music I wanted to do over the holiday. Unless GC is open tomorrow, I might be screwed until Monday.

Windows 7, HP Notebook

Only a guess; did your OS have a recent update? Maybe try a system restore if need to work immediately. Just throwing sticks...

Apparently this is a known problem. There's a thread with this issue on the PreSonus support page. No real answer, other than install latest drivers...which I believe I'm doing. Not sure why this suddenly happened. I'll look into a system restore. Thanks man

I have read of SO many problems with W7 updates that now I set a restore point before downloading them (called " Before Ms fkd me up").

Mr Pinky and others here will tell you that you SHOULD keep a current image of your drive handy at all times! I confess to not being so organized.

Dave.

Mr Pinky and others here will tell you that you SHOULD keep a current image of your drive handy at all times! I confess to not being so organized.

I do that mostly for potential virus infection(s) and more importantly recovery after a failed hard drive. With Windows 7 I haven't seen an update kill a fundamental function like sound... I was going to say in a long time, but I'm not sure I've seen an update ever interfere with sound output.

It sounds to me like the interface is failing. You've done the basics, I guess now it's time to let Presonus earn their part. Unfortunate about it being over the holidays.

Have you tried an older driver? Do you run the installer program as an administrator? Sometimes when executable are downloaded there's a block put on them, to verify there aren't any restrictions on the driver installer right click the file, go to properties, and towards the bottom of that first window you would see mention of block/unblock. This isn't very common, and I don't recall if this causes the program to stop working altogether or inhibits it in some way from completing.

Open File - Security Warning : Unblock File - Windows 7 Help Forums

Just a couple things not mentioned that would be worth verifying/trying.

I have been having a problem like this on my main computer. Happens rather random or at least I can't figure out why it happens. What I do is select another driver (internal sound card) and make it my default, then do a test from the config wizard, then switch the default back to the Audiobox.

I think something was updated in Windows in the last 3-6 months that must have made it behave like this is the only thing I can figure.

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. Yeah it really sucks having this happen over the holidays and with all this time off (but i work christmas night). I've done everything suggested so far except for changing the default around. After install, it actually keeps the windows sound (realtek) as default. I have to change it to AudioBox. But, I'll still try that suggestion.

If that fails, well, I'm just going to run up to Guitar Center shortly and pick up the Scarlett version of this.

If that fails, well, I'm just going to run up to Guitar Center shortly and pick up the Scarlett version of this.

I have the Scarlett 2i2, which I upgraded *from* the Tascam US-1800 [I had a faulty unit, and didn't need all those inputs anyway] which was an upgrade from the PreSonus Audiobox [the audiobox was sent to a collaborator]. Of the three I feel like the Scarlett is the most stable, latency about the same as the Tascam but better than the presonus.

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. Yeah it really sucks having this happen over the holidays and with all this time off (but i work christmas night). I've done everything suggested so far except for changing the default around. After install, it actually keeps the windows sound (realtek) as default. I have to change it to AudioBox. But, I'll still try that suggestion.

Ok but make sure you get the generation 2 version, better headroom and latency. Hodoooosyever! Your mention "Realtek"? Get rid of it. In fact I would uninstall all the Audio box software, then disable (NOT uninstall) Realtek in Dev Mang' then re boot and install the AI stuff.

Not that many years ago we ALWAYS killed OBSound dead, usually in BIOS as it can frigg about with your sample rate. I hardly dare ask but you HAVE disable Windows bloops and bleeps?

Dave.

I never touched realrek or used it. I just switched the audiobox to be the default. In the past.

Just bought the Scarlett 2i2. Ill set it up shortly.

I never touched realrek or used it. I just switched the audiobox to be the default. In the past.

Just bought the Scarlett 2i2. Ill set it up shortly.

I understand that but the program can still intrude AFAIK unless actually disabled?

Dave.

The FocusRite servers must be bogged down; they are incredibly slow. I'm getting "Internal Server Error 500 - please try again later" continually. I registered the product, though it took forever, but never progressed to the download driver and bundle page. I navigated to the driver for the 2i2, but it never prompted me to plug in the product - weird. I'm guessing that I need to get this done via the new register method, the way I originally tried. When I downloaded just the driver, then restarted Windows, Windows never loaded and I had to start in safe mode.

Christ, what a time to be dealing with this crap. I have other things to do on Christmas Eve!

Just found this online. A Windows update might have been the original problem for my AudioBox, as I am now having problems with my Scarlett 2i2.

"This applies to: Scarlett 2nd Generation

The latest Scarlett 2nd Gen USB Driver relies on Windows 7 having a particular Microsoft update installed. If you automatically or regularly update Windows 7, then this issue should not occur, however if you manually control which updates occur, or do not update Windows 7 at all, you may experience the following issue.

When running the USB driver installer, Windows notifies you with an error stating that this driver is not digitally signed and unavailable. You can choose to ignore this problem and continue with the installation, however once it is installed, Windows may tell you that the Driver is or too old or corrupt (Code 52 and code 10).

To fix this issue you need a very particular Windows update.
Again, this will be included if you simply blanket-update your Windows 7, but if you don't wish to do this, please find a link to the specific update you require below:"

I'm downloading the update they mention. I'll let you know what happens

It still won't work. The Windows update screen is stuck on "searching for updates" for an hour. Shut it down, reinstalled the interface, restarted, and it still won't work. It doesn't show up as a sound device in my control panel. Beyond frustrated.

If I end up needing a new computer for some reason (not sure why exactly, this one has worked fine for 2 years with the AudioBox until a day ago) I'm going to be rather upset.

Are you sure your USB connections on the computer hasn't had something happen to them? It is starting to sound like another problem other than audio interface. I am sure you have checked your other USB plug in areas (usually they are in pairs for each connection on the MB).

Are you sure your USB connections on the computer hasn't had something happen to them? It is starting to sound like another problem other than audio interface. I am sure you have checked your other USB plug in areas (usually they are in pairs for each connection on the MB).

They are working. I tried my wireless mouse and keyboard from the same slot. Works fine. Plus, the install program isn't even asking me to plug in the device, like the manual says it should. It just installs (with some messages along the way) and then says to restart the computer. No asking about plugging anything in. It has to be Windows.

Windows 7 needs (2) updates to fix its update process taking hours just to propagate a list. Those updates are:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

The second one requires a reboot. Once rebooted Windows Updates should take maybe 10 minutes to return a list of available updates, versus 1-12 hours prior.

Thanks Pinky. I saw a site that claimed the Windows Update installer was so slow that there was another update just to make it faster! I tried downloading it earlier, and I'm trying it now too, but the problem there was that initiating that update prompted Windows to do a "searching for updates on this computer" check. Even that process got stuck and wouldn't progress.

It's running that check now, off the first link you sent above, and I'll respond later if it all works out. Thanks man

update: I found a site where a user with a similar situation posted his problem. Someone gave an answer that showed how to use the command prompt to stop the search and allow it to just download the update. I did it and it's installing an update. I'll have to do it again for the second one. I'll update soon.

update 2: both updates you gave me are downloaded. I used the command prompt and stopped the automatic "searching for updates on this computer" that initiated before any update could be installed. Now that both have been downloaded, I am doing a basic update with the windows update installer. Your links worked well. It found updates within 4 mins and I am downloading them now. Next step is to restart and then search for that particular update again that regards turning off digital signatures for drivers (scarlett 2i2 prompts windows to not install it properly because of this). then we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Cool, I forgot that I often kill the highest memory utilizing svchost process and wusa.exe, and then try the update again if it seems stuck on 'searching for updates on this computer'. It isn't always required but often enough it probably bears mentioning.

Back