Preserving Panning

bruce33

What is the best computer audio format which will preserve the original recorded panning function? For example, "A Day In The Life" by the Beatles has interesting panning for the vocals where the voice starts on the left side and then moves to the center. For example, when I rip this song from the CD , the original panning appears to be lost due to the compression of the digital file. I have tried saving recordings in .wav format (huge file size) but even this format appears to lose the panning as originally recorded.

In a nutshell, can anyone tell me what digital format I need to use in order to preserve the left and right side audio as originally recorded when played back on my computer. Also, what is the best format for PC's and what is the best format for Apple to preserve the original panning.

Thanks everyone.

Hi,
What settings are you using when you rip?
If you're ripping to dual mono or stereo-interleaved there shouldn't be any perceivable difference between the CD and your rip.

If you're bringing this rip into a DAW, you'll need to have it on a stereo track with each panned knob turned hard left/hard right, or two mono tracks each panned hard left/hard right.
The specifics are DAW dependent but that's the basics of it.

I can't see mp3 affecting stereo image to the extent the the average listener perceives it as being 'wrong', but if you have the same thing with WAV file it suggests maybe your setup or procedure is wrong.

If it does it with a wav file, you have it set for mono. You want stereo interleaved (or just stereo).

Back