Preap with ADAT out into Projectmix I/O ADAT Lightpipe?

hubb_99

So I'm pretty unwise when it comes to ADAT. I am looking into a new system. I have had my eye on the Projectmix I/O. I like that it's a controller surface and an interface. But I understand that the preamps might not be the best, not a big concern to me as I am not too picky on this and I think much of that is subjective. I also would want to have more than 8 channels available.

My question is...

Would I be able get like an 8 ch preamp with ADAT output such as DigiMax D8 and run it into the projectmix? Like I said I am pretty stupid when it comes to ADAT.

Would there be any disadvantage to this?

Should be able to do it. Just make sure that your clock source is set to the Projectmix I/O and not the D8.

Haha thanks.

Would that show up in my DAW as another device or additional inputs of the projectmix?

Anyone have any good posts or articles on ADAT and how it works?

You route the digital channels exactly the same way as the analog ones. Other than what they're called "Analog 1,2,etc" vs "ADAT 1,2,etc" there's no difference in how the driver presents them to your DAW software. You setup the driver to use internal sync, and choose ADAT as the digital in source - like this:

projectmix routing.jpg

In Cubase, at least, you can even route digital and analog channels together to form weird stereo combinations - like making a bus "Stereo In 1" that has Analog 6 for the left channel, and Digital 3 as the right (just using that to elaborate even further that there's no difference in how they are used).

ok... what the hell. Why is that showing up twice? The image code is only written once... whatever.

edit: Figured it out... the attachment system kinda confused me...

Last edited:
It's fine. There's nothing really wrong with it - it's well-made, solid construction, looks nice, motorized faders are always cool.

That said - I wish the preamps had both a selectable pad and more usable gain. Some of my condensers with really hot output are problematic, even with the gain all the way down, and some of my dynamics with really low output are sometimes problematic with sources that aren't super loud because of noise (I'm thinking of the SM7b, specifically, here...which is problematic with quieter sources with a lot of preamps, to be fair). I use external preamps routed to the line-ins and ADAT in pretty much exclusively, and avoid using the preamps it came with unless I actually need them due to lack of enough external channels (basically when tracking ridiculously complex drumsets with 3 snares and shit like that). Again - there's nothing wrong with the preamps, they're just as transparent as any other transparent preamp (as opposed to purposely colored ones) if the signal is in their usable range - I just wish that range went further in both directions.

I use the transport, jog wheel and locate sections of the control surface all the time, and will sometimes use the channel faders to write automation...other than that, I never actually use the rest of the control surface. It's too tedious to scroll through all the little menus while looking at the little lcd readout when I can just sit back and do whatever I'm trying to do with a mouse much faster.

Hope that helps :)

Yeah man that helps a lot. Now you have me wondering if I will use the control surface as much as I thought I would. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at getting around. I thought it would be nice to have when mixing. Hmmm....now I'm considering just getting an rackmount I/O interface with ADAT inputs.

So I have noticed that the projectmix is selling used for close to half retail price, what's up with that? Usually that indicates issues with product?

I got mine new for 1000 or so - msrp is what, like 1600? And musiciansfriend and sweetwater and other big stores usually sell them new for like 1200 - 1300, right? I don't really know why the new prices are all over the place, dude, much less the used ones. That is an interesting observation, however. I've had mine for about 5 years, I think - no problems at all.

Back