Preamp or Interface?

doncolga

Hi everybody,

I have one ADAT TOSlink input on my PC, and I'd like to get a REALLY nice preamp. I never track more than two things at the same time and I'm beginning to mix everything totally in Sonar 4. Could I just run my one mic, one guitar and Kurzweil K-2600 (2 dry outputs) through a nice four or eight channel preamp (like Focusrite) straight to my PC and not use a multichannel interface (like MOTU or M-Audio units)? I'd really rather put money into a good preamp instead of an interface.

Thanks,

Donny

What type of interface do you have now that has ADAT. If it is an optical digital input on a stock soundcard, then it is probably not actually ADAT. Anyways, there are several options for ADAT preamps: Focusrite Octopre with ADAT card, Presonus Digimax, M-Audio Octane, Mackie Onyx 800R.

Hey,

Thanks for the post. This is the E-mu 1202. There are some other ones I've seen too...Frontier and RME make some also. I'm using the ADAT in and out to and from a Tascam DM-24. I'm just not really doing anything with the mixer, I just send one or two things out at a time from it into Sonar through the LightPipe connection. I feel pretty sure that the preamps on something like a Focusrite ISA 428 would be better than what the DM-24 can do. I figured I could take things straight in through the Focusrite.

So it would be OK to do that right? From what I've seen on the Focusrite site, that application would be OK. Mainly I was wondering if it would be OK to run line levels into it. I have heard that suggested before.

Donny

I believe many of those preamps also have line levels as well. I would maybe think about going somewhere other than the focusrite. From what i've read (though no personal experience) for the same money as a the octopre le and the adat card, you could get a presonus digimax lt. I've also heard some pretty good things about the m-audio octane. As far as what you're wanting to do, yes, you should be fine. You're basically already doing that now, just with a digital mixer instead.

Hey again,

Do you think I would notice an improvement in my recordings going through a preamp like the Octane instead of the mic/line inputs on the Tascam DM-24? I've heard from numerous sources that preamps potentially make a huge difference in recording quality.

Thanks,

Donny

I've heard that the DM 24's pre's are pretty nice. I used the FW-1804 for a while, and I thought that the pres were OK in that. I know that the Onyx 800R would probably be a step up, as the Onyx pres are very good.

Why are you wanting to change, are you not happy with the sound you're getting out of the Tascam?

Hey again,

I'm new to recording and basically want to be sure I'm doing everything I can within reason to get the best quality I can. I guess I'm happy with the DM-24 pre amps, but would be willing to invest some if it would be a significant improvement.

Donny

You could find a place with a good return policy and try some of the ones suggested out. Then you would know for sure if they would be that much of an improvement over your DM-24. Like I said, I would think that the Onyx would probably be the only one that would make a rather large noticeable difference, but who knows...

Back