Pre Amp Question..

JHudson

So I posted in a previous post about noise I was having with M Box - I can roll the gain down on the M Box and of course the noise goes away. I have experimented reising the gain of my source, and I get a nice clean recording with no noise. My question is this: Am I correct in thinking I should add an external pre-amp in front of the M Box to boost my gain cleanly? I know that when I try to record vocals, I will need more gain due to having to set the M Box gain low to get rid of hiss and other noise. Also, what pre-amp to get? I am not trying to do pro quality recording, just a nice tool to use at home but want to optimize what I have. I am using an M Box with pro tools MP9 and windows 7. Thanks for the help.

I'm wondering if the mbox isn't broken. It should not be making enough noise to be a problem if everything is set up properly.

But, to answer your question, just about any solid state mic preamp will fit the bill in this situation. You don't have to spend a ton of money. Even a $50 mixer with a couple mic preamps built in would do. It would also come in handy for other things as well.

I had wondered the same thing about the M Box - when you get enough gain to show the proper level on Pro Tools, I have some hiss, and more of an unidentified electronic type white noise. I have downloaded the newest driver, moved the M Box, experimented with all types of gain settings. Also have PC and associated equipment on a power conditioner. Just very odd. I realize this is a very inexpensive setup, but if I can get a quiet recording, I will be happy with it for what I need. Mainly use it to lay ideas and listen back before heading to the real studio.

So I posted in a previous post about noise I was having with M Box - I can roll the gain down on the M Box and of course the noise goes away. I have experimented reising the gain of my source, and I get a nice clean recording with no noise. My question is this: Am I correct in thinking I should add an external pre-amp in front of the M Box to boost my gain cleanly? I know that when I try to record vocals, I will need more gain due to having to set the M Box gain low to get rid of hiss and other noise. Also, what pre-amp to get? I am not trying to do pro quality recording, just a nice tool to use at home but want to optimize what I have. I am using an M Box with pro tools MP9 and windows 7. Thanks for the help.

Some things aren't clear. If you can raise the gain of your source (what does that even mean? Does your mic have a gain knob built into it?) and get a nice clean recording with no noise...what's the problem? I suspect you mean you can connect a source with a higher output and use less gain on the MBox which works out ok, but assumptions lead to confusion every time around here... Even if that's correct, it would still leave the question of: What is the lower-level source you're having problems with? Is it an SM-7 you're using to record a stream trickling from a distance? Yea - an MBox might not cut it, but then again... nothing else would either. Is it an LDC with a really high output you're using to record metal guitars with? If so - your mic might be broken if you can't get enough clean gain for that... too many variables in your question.

Apologies for lack of clear information. The source I am using where I can raise the gain is a Roland Cube 60 guitar amp using the record out. I am raising the output of the amp considerably (like half way to full volume, 12:00 position) and lowering the M Box gain (about the 9:00 position) to reduce my noise (the roland is a very noise free input). If I were to only want to record with this one source, it would be great, but where I have to place the gain on the M Box it is way too low if I want to use a mic on an amp and yield a good input signal, and I do not want to have to turn an amp up that loud as it will have a negative impact on my tone (playing Chet Atkins / Merle Travis Style so distortion not an option and I want to mic my old Music Man tube amp). The lower level source I want to use is an SM57, and I suspect I will soon want to experiment with some vocals on another project as well using a mic on my acoustic which will present the same challenges. I have not yet purchased the mic for vocals / acoustic as of yet.

I have the Mobile Pre. Honestly really beginning to think I pretty much got what I paid for..I do have the option to send it back at least if it does not work out.

I have the original M-Box and the pres are not the best - although they're fine for recording line in instruments. I would suggest a good mic pre. As for which one, I'm not an expert - I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. I'd be curious to know, myself. :-)

-Jagg.

Okay...the M Audio Mobile Pre isn't a M Box which is the name of a specific model.

While not the greatest interface in the world, the Mobile Pre certainly shouldn't be causing you the problems you mention. Indeed, I owned one for year and used it with calibrated measurement mics for the input to a real time analyser (SMAART if you're interested) and got valid readings.

Barring a faulty piece of gear, I think there's something strange going on with your gain staging.

Back