powerbook vs. macbook vs. macbook pro

LP2006

ah, I am in a position where I could use a few opinions. Need to grab a laptop for school/recording purposes. Oh, and school=sound for me, so really just recording :D . I've already decided that it has to be a mac, so no pc vs. mac argument here. What I am debating over is what seems to be the three top mac notebooks at this time; powerbook, macbook, and macbook pro.

This will be the first mac I actually own, though I have used them in past, and I guess I would like some opinions on how well these three models will preform in sound type applications, relative to each other. I'll be doing just about everything with this system: editing, midi, softsynths, arranging, multitracking, mastering...ect.

So please...opinion away!!!!

You really should give a price range for what you are willing to spend. When it comes to macs, buy the best you can afford and you'll be covered. If you don't want to spend that much and still want the capabilities, go with the regular macbook 2 ghz dual core. However, if you want to use your laptop as a workhorse computer go for the macbook pro which can handle much more than the regular macbook.

SOS reviewed both the Macbook and macbook pro in the last 2 issues as DAW platforms (they actually liked the macbook better). Powerbook is a little beyond its prime if your looking for a new machine

altitude909 said:
SOS reviewed both the Macbook and macbook pro in the last 2 issues as DAW platforms (they actually liked the macbook better). Powerbook is a little beyond its prime if your looking for a new machine

Alright, I guess I just had to hear that the powerbook is outdated. Really my initial choice was between the macbook and the macbook pro, but then I noticed that powerbooks are considerably cheaper if you buy used.

I guess the question has now become macbook or macbook pro, unless someone out there thinks the powerbook is a better choice.

As far as $$$$ that I'm looking to spend, I am basically thinking $2300 or under. I can get both the macbook and the macbook pro for less than this, but I will also be buying software. All in all, this system is going to be used frequently so I have no problem with investing some cash.

The thing is, when comparing the two computers I can't determine if there is a huge difference between the macbook pro and the macbook. I mean, the stock specs are indeed different, but you can upgrade the macbook to the point where it is the same as the macbook pro in almost every aspect except processor spreed. I forget the actual number but it is close to $600 cheaper.

Could someone explain to me why the macbook pro is better than just the regular macbook, if it is better at all? I mean, I get that there is a .16ghz difference in processor speed, but is that really a $600 difference?

Pro version has a dedicated graphics processor, Macbook has shared memory for graphics. Shouldn't be an issue for audio and doesn't slow it down that much for video, according to some of the benchmarks I've seen.

Pro also has a new PC card slot. Macbook has NO expandability options beyond the 2 USB and 1 FW ports.

Macbook harddrive is very easy to replace/upgrade. Not sure about the Pro.

All in all, I'm impressed with the specs on the Macbook. Picking up one for my business here in about a week if all goes well. :D

-C

I would definitely advise against the PowerBook. The G4 was getting long in the tooth a couple of years ago. The fastest PowerBook was still only about three or four times the speed of my old Pismo G3 from 2000. The MacBook and MacBook Pro will flat clean its clock. :D

As for MB vs. MBP, that's a tougher call, but I'd lean towards the MBP because of the card slot and the ability to get it with a 7200 RPM hard drive. If you aren't planning to use an external drive for recording, you'll likely eventually come to appreciate the faster internal drive. On the flip side, I can buy the hard drive outright for $20 less than Apple charges to upgrade the drive. *sigh*

If you're comfortable with the idea of swapping stuff yourself, you might consider the base Macbook configuration, plus this:

http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=6138

and this:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=DMH0A25016&c=pw

and install them.

For software, I'd suggest this:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MTUDPERFMAC

$1299 - 2.0 GHz MacBook
$250 - AppleCare protection plan (about half the cost of a single laptop repair out of warranty---you -do- want this for -any- laptop)
$240 - 2GB Kingston laptop RAM
$180 - 100GB 7200 RPM notebook HD
$500 - Digital Performer

$2469 total.

To bring the price below $2300, either stick with the factory HD for now or sell the factory HD and RAM on eBay. :D

hmm. Macbook is looking pretty good right now. Oh, an I calculated that I can get everything that dgatwood listed for $2042 with academic discounts! :)

But how necessary is the 7200rpm drive? Is it even compatible with the regular macbook? I have a 100 gb usb 2.0 7200rpm external drive that I currently use with my pos dell desktop. I must say that I am quite impressed with it. It takes half the time to write to my external drive than it does to write to my internal. Maybe I could just use this and save a bit of cash on the Hard Drive?

Also, Is not having a PC card slot even going to be relevant for me? I think the max external devices I will be using is two: An interace and a hard drive..maybe a mouse.

Man, it is looking like I can upgrade a macbook alot and still be well under the price of the pro. I admit I would like the 15'' screen, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to pay an extra $1000 for it.

Oh, and is the .16GHZ difference between the 2.0ghz macbook and the 2.16ghz pro really that much of a difference? Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone taking the time to post thier comments.

Last edited:
LP2006 said:
But how necessary is the 7200rpm drive? Is it even compatible with the regular macbook? I have a 100 gb usb 2.0 7200rpm external drive that I currently use with my pos dell desktop. I must say that I am quite impressed with it. It takes half the time to write to my external drive than it does to write to my internal. Maybe I could just use this and save a bit of cash on the Hard Drive?

I'd seriously consider a FireWire case for the drive. USB hard drives tend to eat a good bit of CPU power. That said, probably not a high priority. When you run into a project that it can't handle, spend $30 on a new case. :D

LP2006 said:
Also, Is not having a PC card slot even going to be relevant for me? I think the max external devices I will be using is two: An interace and a hard drive..maybe a mouse.

It's not a PC card anyway. It's an ExpressCard slot. Short answer... you'll probably never use it. I haven't had a slot in a laptop for years and haven't ever missed it. That said, when I upgrade, I'll probably get a MBP just because I'd like the eventual ability to add a FW800 card when needed.

LP2006 said:
Oh, and is the .16GHZ difference between the 2.0ghz macbook and the 2.16ghz pro really that much of a difference? Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone taking the time to post thier comments.

The big differences are a bigger screen, higher resolution, the EC slot, a bigger stock HD, and generally faster graphics performance. The 160MHz CPU difference is more of an added bonus. :)

I didn't read anyone else's post's cos mine is the only one that matters, and the answer is Macbook Pro. I got one a week ago to move to a Logic Pro based system and still have it portable with the FireBox, the Oxygen 8, and a mic or 2.

And then, I have it in a full studio, I just bring it there, plug in a few things, and it intergrates with my PC and everything and makes me coffee.

I also have had a LOT less problems than Nuendo once I got the hang of it, and if you do MIDI it's pretty orgasmic. If your into that stuff, weirdo.

Back