Powerbook vs Ibook (processor focused)

rodrigo21

Iam getting a new laptop "only" for music production. Iam in between the Ibook 14" G4 1.3GHz with 512 MB RAM and the Powerbook 15" 1.5GHz 512 MB RAM also. The processor and the screen size is the only characteristic that could make the diference to me from getting the Ibook or paying like $6OO more to get the Power book. The Hard drive memory don´t seem to important since I will end up using an external drive.

Well, in the screen size I can make an exact idea of what Iam getting, but the processor is making me mad.

I will apreciate some advice on how the processor diference could afect my preformance.

If someone comes up with an important diference between both (laptop "only" for music production) that I havent considered, that would be great too.

other than the clockspeed, are the two processors identical? how about the front side bus? i would probably get the ibook if this was the case. i'd use that 600 on a nice firewire soundcard or some monitors.

I think the Powerbook's 166mhz bus speed is a huge advantage over the iBook's 133mhz, especially in doing real-time audio work. It would be a shame to be unsatisfied by a new iBook if it can't cut it because recording's the only thing you're using it for. I got the 1.5ghz 512mb 15" Powerbook and it's great.

noodles2k5 said:
I think the Powerbook's 166mhz bus speed is a huge advantage over the iBook's 133mhz
166Mhz or 133Mhz...or wait a year and get 667Mhz. Like I said, now isn't a particular good time to buy an Apple laptop unless you just absolutely must.

I was under the impression that someone who can shell out to buy a laptop just for recording can probably afford getting a new one in a year or two. Not to mention, Apples have a great resale value.

noodles2k5 said:
I was under the impression that someone who can shell out to buy a laptop just for recording can probably afford getting a new one in a year or two. Not to mention, Apples have a great resale value.

How can you possibly make that assumption?

Also, I don't think PPC Macs will enjoy as much resale value in a year or two as they now, when the x86 Macs come out.

To answer the question, the Powerbook has the Altivec coprocessor and the iBook does not. That means that powerbook SMOKES the ibook in terms of processing power and you'll notice a HUGE difference in performance with high end apps- like recording. Also, that little difference in speed between the PB and the iB makes a significant difference in performance.

Memory should also be on your list of things to concider. I upped by PB 1.25 to 1.25G or memory and it runs WAY better on the dense mixing sessions. The powerbook can hold twice as much ram as the iBook.

The powerbook, besides having a larger screen, aslo has the ability to add a second screen. The iBook doesn't.

All the talk about resale of your Mac laptop have a lot of valid points, by the way. If you're at all concerned about resale value or buying a Mac that will last for a while and not seem slow, I'd get the Powerbook.

And everyone else- 2007 is a long way off. That's when the Power macs are scheduled to switch to Intel processors. There still a good bit of life left in the silver boxs, if that's what you want.

Take care,
Chris

Back