Power Book plus Logic Pro plus M Audio Control Surface I/O=recording my band?

marvinisbass

I'm going to be buying a Power Book and Logic Pro soon to make ellectronic music and I am wondering if the M Audio Control Surface I/O is the right choice to help me manipulate the Logic program. Also, I want to know if it is a good choice to get my band into the Logic program using its eight XLR ins. Further, can I add a second Control Surface I/O easily and have the ability to record 16 potentially phantom powered sources at once? Also of note, I will be adding other programs to work with the Logic Pro but I am not sure which ones yet so if you have any suggestions please tell. Oh yeah, I will be using an M Audio Keystation 88 to control some of the programs parameters and as a soft synth controler.

I am assuming you mean ProjectMIx I/O control surface. I have used it briefly at a friends studio and it worked very well with his setup (Logic Pro on Dual G5). It would handle the band easily but you will need to get an ADAT i/o to fully use the 18 inputs the interface has. 8 analog is usually not enough to record an entire band at once (drum tracks usually take 8 inputs by theselves). You will not need another entire interface unless you want to go beyond 18 inputs.

All in all you have listed some good choices. Logic Pro is excellent, and the PowerBook is also a great choice. You may want to think about customizing your PowerBook with a 7200 rpm drive. I boot my iBook from a LaCie FW external drive when I am working with audio because its internal drive is 5200 rpm and it runs into severe limitations asfar as track count.

Back