Is it possible to use the Computer as an Rack unit?

MkII

Hello everyone. I'm fresh in this forum and i've always been wondering.

Is it possible to use the computer as a rack unit? For more sounds.
I use my Yamaha mm6 and i'm planing on getting a usb-usb cable and connect it to my Macbook. already downloaded a software for the yamaha.

does anyone have experience of this? (If it's possible to use as rack unit or in anyway control the synth via the computer)

Thanks.
Jesper

Assume you mean use the computer to host VSTi's (vitual instruments) controlled by the Yamaha? yes, lots of people do this. Just make sure your computer has good speed and RAM capable of handling the VSTi without latency.

Maybe an macbook pro (11') isn't good enoght. well having problem installing the software at the moment, just bought a usb-usb cable and when i plug it in the keyboard start. but i cannot find any icon or progams on my mac after installing thou it say the installing success...

That's one thing i don't like about mac, it's sometimes abit hard to find stuffs on it

Don't know macs and y'all know I am a bit of a computer numpty...But!

Do you mean to use a computer as a Sound Module? If so I would have thought a fairly cheap 2 core PC would do? Max out the ram and fit a decent PCI card such as the M-A2496.

I bet something like my HP desktop, 2x2.7G with 8G ram would be just the ticket?

Dave.

i think the mac has 4gig ram but well a 2.5ghz intel core I5. now i found the midi settings on my mac but the MM6 does not appear anywhere.

maybe i should re install the program and restart the mac. i'll give it a try

Maybe the problem is that you cannot connect it Usb-usb. maybe i have to get the other "type" of cable. Usb - "to host". i saw this at Saturn today so i'll check em out tomorrow and see if that is the problem

i have just downloaded the manual (with some difficulty! I do NOT want another bloody toolbar, NOR! Do I wish to sign up for an account! Well done Sweetwater!) for the MM6 and it does NOT function as an audio interface via usb. Therefore, AFAICT you need a PC, host software and an AI?

Dave.

thanks Dave. I does not understand your short terms sorry. this "AFAICT" and "AI"

but if i got it right, i cannot use a usb-usb and must use and usb-"host to"

thanks Dave. I does not understand your short terms sorry. this "AFAICT" and "AI"

but if i got it right, i cannot use a usb-usb and must use and usb-"host to"

As Far As I Can Tell and Audio Interface. That last could be a PCI/PCIe soundcard and in fact would be the best choice, In My Humble Opinion in terms of cost-v-low latency.

Dave.

Success ! Finaly it works with the new cable (was cheap, cost about 1.5 euro).

Now to another Question. How the hell (and is it possible?) to put the Yamaha mm6 sounds on the computer, or a'm i stick to everything else? (just tried it in garageband for mac) but i was not able to record anything with the yamaha mm6 sounds.

If anyone knows how (any specific recording programs etc) to record the Synth sounds with the computer i appreciate answers.

best regards
Jesper

Edit i found out about some programs. I have the Cubase at home (since it was included in the yamaha mm6).

Last edited:
Success ! Finaly it works with the new cable (was cheap, cost about 1.5 euro).

Now to another Question. How the hell (and is it possible?) to put the Yamaha mm6 sounds on the computer, or a'm i stick to everything else? (just tried it in garageband for mac) but i was not able to record anything with the yamaha mm6 sounds.

If anyone knows how (any specific recording programs etc) to record the Synth sounds with the computer i appreciate answers.

best regards
Jesper

Yes it should be easily possible. You just need a cable from the line outs of the Yamaha to the line inputs of the mac sound card. IN THEORY! In practice the quality might be poor (I know not of mac sound cards!) and so once again an AI would be the best answer.

Personally I would just get a decent usb AI such as the Steinberg UR22 (better the NI KA6) and connect the audio that way and the MIDI via the DIN connectors on the AI.

BTW it would seem you need an RCA (phono) to stereo 3.5mm/1/8th" jack lead for Yam' to mac?

And! Both those AIs come with Cubase recording software, none better for MIDI.

Dave.

I have to thank you all for help. Now i connect my mac via Usb (on mac) and "to host" (on yamaha) and playing with Garageband so far.

i have Several Cubase at my home in sweden and as soon as i get home i'll install one of them to my mac. Garageband does not have all sounds that i prefer but it is okay and quiet easy for me as a "newb"- midi/computer user.

but i already see what's the problem with having a macbook pro since when i have about 10 different trace it sometimes start to lag and tell me i have to many instruments. but hey. it works at least =)

"but i already see what's the problem with having a macbook pro since when i have about 10 different trace it sometimes start to lag and tell me i have to many instruments. but hey. it works at least =)"

A mac has LIMITS???!! To hear them talk the macmad people think the things are capable of scoring Gone WTHW, making the tea, bath the baby and solving our National
Debt Problem, all of a Friday afternoon!

Actually the problem is more likely to be the interface. Get an NI KA6 with ASIO drivers.

You could also try Reaper? This can "rewire" to Cubase and perhaps give you the best of both DAWs?

Dave.

Back