Popping noise when burning mixes to cd

slash5969

I'm pulling my hair out here - I'm getting an annoying pop on my mixdown burns, right when the track changes, i.e. the pop occurs in the space between songs. It's being introduced when I burn - there's no popping on the tracks themselves. Anyone have an ideas on how to make these pops go away? It's XP home on a dedicated recording pc. 2GIG of RAM, 320GIG HD, integrated soundcard, and I'm using Windows media player 11 to burn the discs.

Thanks,

David

Hmmm...That might be my problem too. I'm losing ten or fifteen seconds of audio at the end of almost every cut when burning .wav files to CD. New Philips CDs, btw. I doubt the brand is the problem, but who knows.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at the speed when I get home tonight. I've got my fingers crossed.

Ok, back to square one.

The drive was set to "fastest", so I reset it to 16X.
Same pop - it happens when the track changes on the burnt cd. Track one ends, and the instant that the playback device switches to the next track - a static-y POP! It happens at the start of every track, no matter how many I put on the cd.

So I set it to 8X. POP!

I set it to 4X. POP!

I set it to 1. POP!

It would appear that burn speed is not the issue.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Umm, how 'bout not using windows media player to burn?

You really should get a real CD-burning program (Nero comes to mind, although looking at their website, it would appear they've decided to add a lot of useless crap to their burning program. Personally, I like Toast for my mac :D ).

Ah, that's a point. I've never used Media Player to burn, so I don't know if that's a common problem or not. I've always used Nero and never had any issues. Have you tried it on a few different systems? It could be an issue with the cd player you're using. Other than that, I honestly don't know. Sorry :o

Obvious suggestion (the obvious us usally overlooked)... Could be the player itself. Do any other CDs do this?

The pops are there when the cd is played back on any cd player.

I may have to look into using something else to burn with, but I like media player. I'm used to it, and I've never had an issue until I got this new pc.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to go peruse the windows site and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Media Player is a crappy CD burning program - period. Even MusicMatch Jukebox (which AFAIK is still free) does a better job. Hell, even iTunes will perform better.

Yea there's no getting around it. Media Player is pure trash. End of story.

U say it's a new computer, eh? Are u, by any chance running Windows Vista? That in itself would be whole new can of problems...

Yes. 16 bit 44.1K wav files

It's XP.

A little research seems to indicate that it is indeed a media player issue. Wav files with any type of summary information attached to them seem to confuzzle the burner.

I found this in another forum, and although I'm using Cubase instead of SoundForge, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Cubase is also attaching summary info to the wav files, since this is the exact same issue I'm having.

"Windows Media Player doesn't handle summary information in wav files.

If you open a wav file in SoundForge and then go to File/Save As..., you'll notice there's a button for summary info, and a checkbox that says to Save Summary Information With file (or something similar). That information, if it is saved, is read by Media Player as a click, which you get to hear at the end of most or all CD tracks. If you just uncheck the box and re-save the wav file, the click goes away magically.

It's stupidity on the part of Media Player, but that's okay-- it's not intended as the end-all CD burning program. But this solution did work for me and makes Feurio unnecessary (in my situation)."

The burner apparently reads the summary file information as some type of audio data, and the corresponding result is the pop I'm getting between tracks.

I'll be getting myself a new burner.

Thanks for the help!

Back