Plugin Questions

JFogarty

You know how on Pro Tools (I have pt free along with everyone else) You can take your selection and process it with what ever plugin you want so that that audio permantly has the EQ settings you put on it. That way, you don't have to run lots of plugins at once. Can you do this in other systems? I have Cubasis(small version of cubase) and I can't do it on that. Specifically, could you do it with Logic Audio and its plugins?

You can do it on Logic, Cubase and Nuendo, guess it's because it's the "Cubasis" you have that it can't do it
bizz

stupid cubasis. And they said that it only has 8 channels, but then you can go in and change the number of channels, and it actually works. So Now I have 10. Wierd.

If cubasis lets you render a file, then you can do this. Just solo your one track, set the plugins, and render that to a new wav file. Pull in the new wave, drop the old one, and you're good to go. Look around in the menus. Vegas calls this "Render to New Track". I've heard it called "painting" a track, too.

Queue

yeah, that would probably work. I don't think I'll bother though. All Cubasis has is some pretty lame EQs. The thing I really need to use is compression on my vocals. (cause I have the worst voice). I'll just edit the tracks I have problems with until I get a new comp and Logic Audio Platinum, or something along those limes

Plugins, plugins, plugins,.... so many to try, so little time...

Everyone seems to have their favorite, most of them are the $$$expensive$$$ ones....

Last month's Home Recording magazine had an article on them, but by the time they covered DirectX, VST, and the MOTU and MAC stuff, it was spread a little thin...

Queue

Well in Cakewalk you have three options -

1) Destructive editing of the data in a track, so its changed forever
2) Assigning the effect to a track, effecting playback only, non-destructive
3) Assigning the effect to a virtual effects send, so you can process multiple channels at once, playback only

No. Pro Tools is almost always non-destructive. What he's referring to is an AudioSuite plugin, which allows you to process a file or region in place (instead of playing back in real time). It usually creates a new file and places it where the old one was, though you can shoose to overwrite the old file/region. It's pretty hard to destructively edit in Pro Tools unless you're really trying.

"what is destructive editing?"

A destructive edit is one that actually changes the original wave file. You can't undo it. The egg stays boiled.

Non-destructive edits don't touch the original file. They're just an instruction to the program to carry out some process on the file at a particular time or place. You can mess with volume changes in Cool Edit, for example, and it's non-destructive.

Lemme see if I've got this straight......................

Multiple plugins tax the processor. However, if I save a track with the effect and reopen to record another track, the FX track isn't a CPU hog anymore in it's saved state?

So...
you can add FX to each track, one at a time and then saving without taking a performance hit?

Yup, that's exactly right. Just keep in mind that your effects settings permanently modify the track, so make sure you keep a backup of the unmodified track, or make sure it's exactly the way you want it before you apply it. Like dobro says, you can't un-boil an egg

Another way to do it with effects that you usually send to an auxillary (reverb, delay, chorus etc) not inserted FX (compression, eq etc) is to record only the wet FX return to a seperate track, that way you can still change the amount of reverb or delay without having the plugin running.

Wow, I thought everyone did this...

I'm painting tracks ALL the time.

Sometimes I will have a whole song ready, and I'll mix out the instruments to a stereo wav. Then I'll re-track the vocals with minimal effort on the PC.

FX track isn't a CPU hog anymore in it's saved state

You will start to tax your HD space.

Another cool thing. Some FX are so CPU taxing, that you can't preview them without getting dropouts. You CAN however, render them without problem (it just takes a LONG time.)

Queue

Yeahl, I have to do that. If I preview with the PT free audiosuite stuff, sometimes it'll freeze my comp. I never run plugins on the fly or whatever, simply because I can't.

Back