plugging a mixer into the computer?

back to gray

ive read some things lately that have lead me to believe that it would be possible for me to get a mixer and plug it into my computer to record with.

if anyone could answer a few questions for me i would greatly appreciate it.

1. is this possible?

2. if so, what sort of mixer would be best to use for such a thing?

3. do i need a high end sound card to pull this off?

4. would the mixer make everything plugged into it record onto separate tracks or just onto one nice sounding track?

ive been using a laptop with a good processor and the sound card that came with it (i know, i know... thats bad, but im broke).

thanks in advance for any help anyone has to offer.

presonus is the only option? what about maudio, motu, tascam or digidesign's firewire options?

anyways, to answer your qestions you can plug a mixer into your soundcard. Just run the mixer's outs to your soundcar's input. You will probably need some adaptors if you are using your laptop's soundcard (like a 1/4 to a 1/8 adaptor and a y-cable). As mentioned though, you may want to upgrade your soundcard first though so you can get more imputs, faster drivers and and higher quality components to capture teh sound better.

If you only have one imput on your soundcard, then all of the tracks sent into the mixer will come out recorded as one track, this can achieve good results but is tough to edit and you have less control over your project.

If you don't have an "imput" on your soundcard then the "input" will work fine.

backtogray. before you do anything with that laptop.
run diskbench from prorec.com on it.
if you dont see good 20 mb plus speed on the drive and 60 plus tracks then i would seriously reconsider using it. if you post the dbench results i'll know better. there have been a lot of people trying to use laptops as a daw. and there have been more than a few problems. low memory, and slow hard drives are typical problems. ideally you need a laptop with a 7200 rpm drive and 512 ram for starters.
peace. and please post your laptop confign in full.

Back