Plug in/Virtual Inst Delay issue Pro Tools 9

musicman9434

Hi guys,

I have just recently learned about plug-in delay. I now know that it was not just me.....thought I was goin crazy or something, but it turns out that I was experiencing plug in delay. I have ADC which I turned on. It still doesn't sound right. I am a lone guitar player without an amp so I am using plugins for almost everything. I am using Guitar Rig4 for guitars and bass and Addictive Drums for percussion. After turning on ADC in Pro Tools the delay window is showing Addictive Drums as the worst at 64 samples and is in orange. The other audio tracks are compensated for and are in green. Thing is it still doesn't sound right. Addictive Drums is a Virtual Instrument and I have read about Pro Tools having delay issues with it VI tracks.....after trouble shooting all this delay crap I'm not sure if it really is delay or my playing. Is there some kind of test I can run to make sure I am hearing everything as it should?

It sounds like you're mixing up plugin delay with latency.
Latency and plugin delay are kind two different things, although they do overlap.

With ADC on, protools will delay every track except the ones that have plugins which are intruding delay.
If your vocal compressor introduces a delay of 64, protools will delay everything else to match.
It's mainly a tool to fix playback delay issues.

Latency is when you've the headphones on, you speak into the mic, and your voice comes back a little late even though there are no delay-introducing plugins.
You can minimise this delay by going to setup>playback engine and setting buffer size to 32/64.
This makes the computer have to work harder; You might want to up it again when all your tracking is finished.

Now, even if you have your latency under control, having ADC doing its job will still mess you up, but you'd need to be talking about big delays. 64 won't be noticed.
There are some plugs that I just can't use when tracking because the int

My guess is you need to adjust your buffer settings.

Back