Please need help fast/mobo infinitevortex.com

Hollowman

I don't want to be rude, but I need help fast.

I have just received the price for my pc made especially for audio:
- 19" Highlight ATX Rack Mount Chassis 350W
- Moederboard Asus A7M266
- Processor AMD Athlon XP 1900+,266Mhz FSB
- CPU Cooler CoolerMaster CPU Cooler AMD Cooler AMD SocketA 1.4Ghz/1800+
- 2 Harddisk IBM DeskStar 60GXP, 60Gb, IDE, 7200rpm U-ATA100
- Sony 3,5" Diskdrive 1.44Mb
- Matrox Millennium G550 32Mb DualHead + DualDVI oem
- Monitor Iiyama TXA3823MT 15" TFT, 1024x768, USB+SPKR
- Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical
- Dane-Elec Dimm 512Mb DDR SDram PC2100
- Creamware Luna II+2496 I/O Box

The problem is the ASUSA7M266. They have replaced it with the ASUSA7V266 because they said that it could only be used for AMD Thunderbird up to 1.2 GHz, but not for the XP. I don't understand this. I was recommended this mobo on different forums and I was told not to buy the ASUSA7V266. I have looked at the specs at www.infinitevortex.com and it is clearly stated ASUSA7M266. Please help me, because I have to decide fast. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Hollowman

I wouldn't decide too fast on stuff like this,

I assume the big deal with the A7M versus the A7V are the chipsets. I don't know what you were told on other bbs's about the A7V266, and why not to buy it.

So, I'll guess that the Creamware unit doesn't like the VIA chipsets, quite possible/likely. Whereas the A7M266 uses an AMD 761 chipset which works well with the Creamware unit.

If you take a look here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/download/mbdriver/socketa.htm

Note that with a BIOS flash, the A7M266 will support the XP processors, to what GHz I don't know, but I'm gonna guess all GHz currently available.

Explain this to whoever your buying it from, and ask them why they didn't know the motherboard could be flashed for support of the XP processors.

There is currently no shortage of A7M motherboards, FYI.

Get what you order, don't let them screw you around.

A bit more info:

http://www.athlonxp.com/compatibility_bios.html

You need to know what revision number the motherboard is as to whether it can be flashed.

Thanx Emeric,

I am going to the store on Monday and tell them about the Bios Flash with the link you gave me as proof. I was told on a Creamware forum that I had to get the Asus A7M266 or else go for the pentium IV. I definitely don't want a pentium because it (and memory for it) is too expensive. Athlon is better too, but I don't want to go in that discussion. I just read reviews and make up my own mind.

You are right about the fact that Creamware cards HATE Via chipsets. They defenitely do not go together.

I will keep you posted on Monday.

Hollowman

Back