PLEASE HELP! What interface should I purchase?

larryloo

About 2 years ago I had a laptop which came with Vista pre-installed. I then had some problems with getting it to work with my mBox 2 so, I then installed XP PRO with dual-boot & it worked just fine. That's when I was using Sonar, Nuendo & Reason just to name a few. That laptop later crash on me and I needed to upgrade my laptop.

Here's the Digi Design Audio Drivers 7.0 that I used on my old laptop that crash. These drivers worked well on there and won't on my new laptop.

So, I bought a new Toshiba P755-S5391 with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and I have XP PRO dual-boot. I can't get my Digi Design mBox 2 to work successfully with W7 or XP SP2. I tried using the Digi Design Audio Drivers Setup (x64). When in W7 it plays good with no cracks or pops in the sound but, after every 30-45mins my music stops in Cubase 5 & I have to re-install the mBox 2 drivers to get it back working. When working in XP PRO the sound quality is horrible. Plenty cracks and pops and I'm using the same drivers that I used on my laptop that crashed with XP PRO which was working just fine.

Now I don't want anything to do with Avid (Digi-Design) or Presonus. I usually buy all kinds of home recording equipment to see what works best but, I now can't do that because I am tight on funds.

What would be the best USB interface for me that's no more than $200, have MIDI in/out, phantom power, 1/4 IN (2, 4 or more), descent sound quality and one that can work with the setup I have?

My setup

Nuendo 4.3

Sonar

Cubase 5

Reason 5

Akai MPK mini

Sterling Audio Mic ST77

Event TR5 Monitors

System info for Windows XP PRO
Windows XP - System Info.png

System info for Windows 7 Home Premium
3-2-2012 4-25-58 PM.png